MK3 2.0 8v - What are the options?

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by M1ST, Apr 22, 2004.

1. M1ST Forum Member

Hi All,

I have a 2l 8v mk3, with the engine completely standard as yet, so its at about 115bhp. Now with my desires growing (and also my pocket) for something with a little more performance I'm thinking of my options.

There isn't really much you can do to an 8v engine for big power gains, besides super charging or turbo charging it and still that will probably only get you at around 180-190 bhp (from my research).

Both methods will probably end up costing somewhere in the region of about 2000, with it being a modified car on the insurance.

So, my options are either turboing it or supercharging it (the 2l 8v engine), or flog the car and add the 2000 and pick up a VR6, which will give me 176bhp, and standard on the insurance. Of coarse, no doubt once I've had a VR6 for a bit I will probably want even more power gains, where the VR6 engine can handle almost any mod.

Any recommendations out there from the experienced guru's?

Cheers,
    M1ST
    Edited by: M1ST

2. trendy tramp Forum Member

i think you've almost answered your own question there ;)

tt

3. ValverPaul Forum Member

What Trendy Tramp said :lol:
    Seriously though your better with a fast standard car (insurance wise) than a d1cked about with slow originally)car!! ;)

4. Rallye Forum Junkie

sell it and buy a VR

5. S1MMA Forum Member

I'm in the same boat as you mate, and there are 2 options the way I see it.

Either sell the car and get something faster, putting however much money on top.

Or, go the custom route on your car, e.g. lightly tuned 1.8T, but only with the right suspension/brakes/even LSD will there be any point in doing it. So, say you can do the 1.8T for 3000, then the brakes for 800-1000, then the suspension for 400 (koni/eibach) or coilovers (800), you are talking like 5000 in total. If I can sell my 8v for 3000, add 5000 to it, then a standard car for 8000 (e.g. a Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo, with brembo's/220bhp standard/sweet chassis/etc... etc...) which is a 5* EVO car will be a better alternative when it comes down to it.

I couldnt bring myself to throw that much money at my car, knowing it will not retain hardly any of it if I wanted to sell it. Buying a VR may be a good inbetween car to have till you can afford something really quick.

6. MrBen Forum Junkie

Gotta agree with the above. Put an exhaust and air filter on the 8v for a bit of noise, but if you want real power, just sell it, and buy something quicker!

7. b'locks Forum Addict

sell it, buy a vr6, spend 3.5k on a turbo for it and say hello to 350bhp :thumbup:

8. M1ST Forum Member

I did consider putting a 1.8T TT engine in, actually I had even bought the engine, gear box, loom, etc. But then thought it through and concluded it wouldn't really be worth putting that money in to it, so sold the engine in the end.

Now thinking going the VR6 route for a bit and doing some subtle mods until I can afford something REALLY quick and the insurance to go with it [:$]