Mk3 2L GTi Stalling between 3k and 4K RPM

Discussion in '16-valve' started by apw99, Feb 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. apw99 New Member

Hi guys - need a bit of help here if possible..

I have a 1997 GTi MK3 ABF 2L 16v
    It has had a failed coild a few years back after stalling problems which eventually ended in the coil just dying. However about three months ago the stall came back again. I checked the HT cables and found a lot of burning on the coil-> distributor cable at the distributor cap. I replaced the cap which also had one lug completed eroded, and replaced the stator arm as well. "That should sort it" I thought! No such luck! Stall persisted as soon as I went near 3kRPM and can also give rough tick-over. I had a spare coil and a cable (not the exact same cable but near enough for a test). Replaced both and still had the problem. The coil was in my shed for a while and may have a history so I ordered a new coil from the UK and replaced that yesterday. i measured the resistance across the primary and the new and old coild were completely different..guess what ...still have the problem but now it is distinctly between 3 and 4K RPM. I changed the cable between the coil and distributor again and no difference. I ran the engine in the dark and can see no arcing anywhere. A new set of leads for the ABF is 100 and I don't have that money available for this car right now.
    The stall is very distinct, does not feel like a fueling issue which would be more of a dying off in power, the cut off is VERY distinct, after 4K RPM the car takes off again as if nothing happened!!
    I had a faulty crank-sensor when i bought the car and this showed up as total loss of power and the rev-counter going straight to zero...with this current problem the rev-counter stays fairly constant.

Thanks for reading my ramble (if you are still with me) and any advice will be gratefully received.
    Stumped!
    APW

2. Chrisrpal Events Team

Have you thought about the ISV? That can causing idling and stalling issues. I had a similar problem which was the ISV. Check it buzzes on ignition switch no:2