Mk3/4 Exh Manifolds on Mk1/2 Cars?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Mike_H, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Mike_H Forum Addict

I was browsing ebay and noticed some golf exhaust manifolds on there from Mk3/4 cars. I was struck by how much better designed they looked than the old Mk1/2 cast iron jobs. They don't look like equal length performance manifolds, but they might be a cheaper route to some bhp gains on a budget build - smoother flow and all that?

Obviously, at this stage I haven't tried this, and clearance might be an issue, as they're designed for bigger cars, and might not fit inside the bulkhead. Food for thought though. Some cutting and shutting of downpipes might well be required.

They've also got lambda bosses in them, which could be useful for megasquirt / AFR gauge installs.

Beetle - looks like 8v stud pattern.

[​IMG]

Not sure what this is from - Mk4 1.6?
    [​IMG]

8v(?) Mk 4? Flange looks like Mk2 maybe?
    [​IMG]

Mk3 1.8 SPI? Cast, but looks better than the older style manifold?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  2. danster Forum Addict

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The top one is fitted to my 3A 8v. It is from the X flow 06A engine. The header flange needs a bit of tweaking to allow the intake manifold to clear. HEGO is in a good position as well. Probably makes no difference to performance though.

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

5. danster Forum Addict

That would be good.
    There are 20v tubular manifolds too. The tubular ones will be good to modify as well be that they are easier to weld.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

MK3 manifolds are direct fit to MK2, mk3 downpipe fit if you also use a cat bypass pipe. same story with corrado/passat g60 ad 2.0 16v. LHD ABF manifold is a very nice design, more like a 4-2-1 aftermarket system. need the matching lhd downpipe as well id have thought as the manifold is much longer than the rhd. part number 037 253 031 bk, around 280+VAT

some nice big pictures:
    http://www.motor-talk.de/blogs/kinixys/-guess-who-s-back-oder-jaeger-und-sammler-2-0-t2455398.html

MK1 uses different spacing so MK4 seems more suited as per dansters post

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

Tut tut Mr RJ... you said ABF in the 8v section ;)

I reckon the tubular Mk4/Beetle ones have a bit of potential. I'll need to get hold of one and have a trial fitting. If anyone wants to lend me one, please let me know!

8. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

the beetle one would need some mods to the flange to fit counter flow heads but definate potential

9. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

This one looks tha same as the one that i have in the garrage taken from my lupo gti. Small block 1.6 16v

[​IMG]

The downpipe has a pre cat in it that people knock out.

10. Funky Diver Forum Member

Mike, I have the AKL one fitted to an AKL 8V head... and oddly my EX block (sans head) is still fitted in my Rocco (I'm gonna take a punt that that is the direction you're going partly?)

Want me to offer up the head with manifold on the car and take some piccies next time I'm down the farm?

At least it'll give you a visual datum to go from. If there is any value in measurements, let me know what you need :thumbup:

11. Toyotec

X flow tubular header fitted to my 3A counter flow 8v with 2E inlet.

[​IMG].

Apart from the ideal HEGO location for standalone users, this header is still unequal at cylinders 1 and 4 and may not have any performance benefit over a PB digifant item. I have driven the car with the original cast part and this one and could not really tell any difference.

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

Sure... worth a look though I thought. The early cast 8v manifolds are a pretty horrible bit of kit - small, rough ports, heavy, and hard to find decent ones in the 6-bolt flange, that aren't cracked.

I'm just mulling over ideas at the minute. Thought it was worth sharing in case anyone was looking for an option.

Might make more difference if you're running an uprated cam, for example.

13. alexisblades99 Forum Member

Got to be an improvement over those C-clip abominations.

14. Toyotec

Mind over matter I would say but a good replacement if your rusty and cracked cast one gives up!

15. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

is this whats in the test bed / spider house?

did the mk2 DP fit?

16. White MK2 Forum Member

Yes the above does fit i bought the exact one from eBay... its the APK Beetle manifold does needs alot of trimming on the flange well it did to fit my K-Jet head. Plenty of clearance to the bulkhead just working out the DP issue now possily a Mk3 with a bit of cut and weld?

17. Toyotec

As in post 3 and 11. This manifold is fitted to my 3A 8v. The std 8v downpipe just simply bolts on. No side effects.