Mk3.5 Speedo flicker non start?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Anj, Nov 14, 2022.

1. Anj

Anj Paid Member Paid Member

Hi guys I’m not sure if anyone has come across this before. My mk3.5 (agg) hadn’t been started for a week or so. Battery was a bit sluggish so jumped from my van no problem at all. Drove a good few miles pulled in. Stopped the car and it wouldn’t start. Not even cranking. Bumped it, since then the Speedo needle is flickering around the 0mph and not starting. I can hear a relay under the bonnet when I go to start it but nothing else. Any help would be massively appreciated.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

try pulling the fuse for cluster for 30 seconds, once you figure out why the car wont even crank. possibly really duff battery? check all the battery cabling as well

3. Anj

Anj Paid Member Paid Member

I tried everything suggested, managed to get the speedo flicker to stop after cleaning some contacts from the battery and the earth strap. Used to work for Peugeot many moons ago and the earth strap was stupidly common on the 306. Finally managed to get a reading of just under 12v to the starter and alternator connection. Better attempt at starting but still no good. Had it bench tested and it’s was miserable. Like it was connected to a Double a battery. for anyone who is interested motor parts direct are selling remy starters and alternators dirt cheap after they folded. Got mine for £41.62+ vat. And they are honouring the warranty. Well worth a shout

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

cool few different issues combining then, glad you sorted it :thumbup: