mk3 abf no start after glowing back box

Discussion in '16-valve' started by briman, Aug 9, 2018.

1. briman New Member

So car drove fine for its 35mile commute.Next day didnt use until evening.went to local shops less than 1 mile drive then needing fuel went to normal local fuel station, filled with petrol (checked receipt) and car was stuttering during normal driving operation.Got home it played on my mind so took it up A-road thinking maybe crappy fuel,return journey of 6miles of motorway.All this time struggling to keep power up.Just got into my road and dipped clutch and car died.Engine temps all normal.Could smell heat so checked around car to find looking up back box it was glowing red (like track use red)
    Later found it have no spark.Traced to rotor arm broken.Replaced along with new dizzy cap.
    Still nothing.Turns over strong with strong spark.Getting fuel smell release from engine case breather pipe.
    Could i have a blocked/collapsed cat exhaust or does this sound worse like cams etc? hope thats enough details for a reply. thanks

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Remove the 02 sensor to vent the exhaust and see if it starts. (if exhaust blocked)

Other than that it going to be a case of checking cam timing etc.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  3. briman New Member

Sorry for the dumb reply but thats the one screwed into top of cat yes? Im struggling with beneath access due to being on low coilovers and time in evenings in daylight after work on main busy road. Thats great suggestion as long as long as the sensor not seized into place like some of the back box bolts were. thank you