Mk3 Angel Eyes

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by mr.brown, Nov 11, 2003.

1. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

Each headlamp unit is made up of the outer casing and the inner section upon which the reflectors are housed. When you "adjust" a headlamp you are simply moving the inner section in relation to the casing.

The idea is to get the reflectors aiming as far down as possible to avoid the "kick up" you mentioned.

On the back of each unit there are what appear to be two adjuster knobs at the top - the outer one is a dummy. Once the inner one is fully adjusted that's normally it.

BUT, on the lower outer corner there is another (?)spindle/knob thingy. On the original lamps this where the electric headlamp adjuster unit goes in. This can be twisted and pulled out (NOT REMOVED) so that effectively what you're doing is pulling the bottom of the inner unit back thus aiming the reflectors down.

The spindle/knob thingy has three tabs so when you insert it you line up the tabs with the hole, push and twist.

When you remove it, twist, pull out and twist again. This means that the tabs are now resting on the OUTSIDE of the casing instead of the inside. You've then effectively pulled the reflectors back half an inch furhter than is normally possible.

The spindl/knob thingy won't fall out because it is connected to the inner unit by a ballsocket joint and the fact that you have fully adjusted the normal adjuster means that there is a fair bit of tension there.

I did mine three weeks ago and there's been no movement. I've sought the opinion of several different people at work by getting them to drive toward my car at night in the work car park and not one of them thought they were anything other than normal lights.

Big HOWEVER. If you drive anywhere other than a city this is not recommended. You get a great view of the tarmac ahead of you but precious little else!

2. lockdog Forum Member

you can get halo headlamps for the mk4 custom made in the north east, my mate got them done for 250. the fella puts them in the oven to heat the seal the puts in the halos and bungs them back in the oven to seal em back up :lol: so i suppose if you gave a set of mk4 style lights for the mk3 he could do em for ya and they would be RHD :clap: