Mk3 custom brake setup CHANGES! Help with pipes

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by MarkGolf, Dec 11, 2018.

1. MarkGolf Forum Member

Hi All,

It has been many many moons since I have been here, glad to see this forum is still up and running.

I am looking to resurrect my Mk3 Golf VR6. One issue which I always always always had with it was the terrible brakes, the brakes should have been amazing but they never were. They were always spongy, no feel and you really had to mash the pedal into the floor (literally) to get the car to stop.

Years ago when I was initially trying to solve the problem, I bled and bled and bled the system, I removed the rear calipers and pointed them up etc (Lots of Mk4 Golf air bubble stories), I did it all. No joy.

Anyway, now I'm looking at this nearly 10 years since I built the thing, I think my issue lays with the amount of hosing I used and the type I used.

The entire system is made up of -3an braided lines, 100% of it! There is not 1 single bit of hardline, I did this as I have a smooth engine bay and ran the lines within the car. I want to simplify and shorten the system and try and hardline a lot of it. The fronts I may struggle with as I want to keep everything hidden, so I plan on changing the rear setup and making the majority of it hardline. If the brakes remain poor, I'll look at doing the fronts somehow.
    When I originally did the brakes, I retained the factory cross over setup but I am looking to bin that as you'll see below.

So, my questions are;

I want to avoid copper hose, purely for the colour of it, I really want silver lines, are steel lines which I can get from vintage car shops OK or am I better off getting the copper and painting/heatshrinking them to hide the colour?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAGUAR-E...COPPER-LINED-25-COIL-7-62-METERS/222789038956

I have basic pipe bending and flaring tools, would these work for the steel lines?

Here is my current and planned idea;

[​IMG]

Any help and advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

you can get stainless pipe ..harder to flare but silver and wont tarnish

if not then use kunifer and paint it or sleeve with heatshrink , copper is rubbish and banned in some countrys

3. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Swagelock stainless, not cheap, but 'a standard' in industrial hydraulics?
    Also, when having spongey brakes, I would have replaced the master cylinder in a heartbeat
    Jon