mk3 dash, speedo problems

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by stew, Dec 17, 2003.

1. stew New Member

I swapped a mk3 dash into my car, and eventually had it all working (with a little help), recently the speedo stopped working, i bought a new sensor from vw and it worked fine for a while. Its no gone through the same problems the older one did. It worked intermitentally then has just died.
    Has any one else had the same problem? or is there anything special i should have been doing to the wiring?
    Edited by: stew

2. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

is it a mk3 dash in a mk2 like mine?

if the speedo has died its likely the speedo has blown up...

how did you have the revs working if it is a mk2 dash conversion?

Cheers

3. stew New Member

yes it is, i got the rev counter working by connecting a wire from pin 7 on the tci unit to the wire for the rev counter. Cheers (jettaman)
    What would cause the speedo to blow up. have you got yours working? if so where did you take the power supply from.

4. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

Hi Stu,

Ok yeah you have the same as me then, pin 7, spot on! :)

i blew my rev counter up because i had it connected the old way which caused it to flick around and it knacered it up complety....until i changed to pin7 with a set of new clocks.....

power supply for the rev counter? all comes from the fuse box as normal?

njeed more info, im online for another 3 hours [:D]

5. stew New Member

i meant the power for the speedo, this is the second one which has gone on me.

6. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

power for the speedo? no need, all came from the loom to the fuse box for the whole clocks.....

the speedo sensor is in the gear box on my mk2, and came from the mk3....

7. stew New Member

ah, ive got the older fuse box, and had to make the power for the sensor my self. mines in the g/box too. Its got a live straight from the battery and its earthed to the battery. and another wire straight to the dash.

8. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

yeah thats it......thats the right way.

have you got pre ce2 electrics? i don't..

i have a problem with my fuel guage which is doing my nut in to be honest....it doesn't work, i can get it to work but it drops signal everytime you driver the car til it goes to empty again :(

9. stew New Member

pre ce2 is that the older fuse box with only 4 big pins rather than 30odd small ones.
    If so then yes. wer.nt there a few wires you needed to swap round to make it all work properly?
    the wire for the fuel level sensor on the dash is point 10, on the old connector is was at point u. 1/12, does that help you?

10. stew New Member

i think its a blue wire.

11. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

the pin is all set up correctly, im gonna put up a post in electrical about it in a sec....ive just had the fuel sender in the tank replaced incase it made a difference and it hasn't :(

tried 2 sets of workin clocks, 2 sets of fusebox to clocks looms, and made no difference.......looms all work ok in another car and so do the clocks..

next thing is to maybe change the fuse box?

12. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

no coloured wires on my dash conversion clock loom, i got the MFa working as well in mine [:D]

13. stew New Member

u had the all white wires? i dont know if my mfa is working, i blew up the 8v clocks i had and still havnt got a new set, i'm using ones from a 1.6 cl at the mo. its weird as the rev counter only goes upto 6k.

14. stew New Member

any ideas what could make the speedo blow. its baffling me, it'll cost 36 from vw and if it goes again its gonna start costing a lot.

15. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

i used the driver mk3 clocks orginally (i have a mk2 16 - as per sig) annd had the rev counter isntalled via some wires in the fuse box and the rev counter flicked everywhere, i ran that for about 6 months until the rev counter stopped working altogether and the water light started flashing since the rev counter didn't work.

I then acquired brand new 16v mk3 clocks with MFA and then Jettaman andy converted the counter so it went from pin7 and worked perfectly. But i lost my fuel guage for some reason....worked fine in the drivers clocks but don't work at all now with any set of clocks or looms.....it must be a fuse box issue??!!? tested all wires from fuel sender to fuse box and all get signal so no problem there at all...

i just don't get it......it doesn't make sense..

if i fiddle and put the wire out the back of the clocks and back in again i can occasioanly get the sender to worjk, but it never reads the right amount and then it just drops and drops back down to 0 fuel again!

doing my box in! :(

16. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

has it blown since you had it in on pin 7?

did the water light flash when the rev conuter stopped working?

what car exactly have you got? engine wise? reg?

17. stew New Member

its the speedo not the rev counter i'm having problems with, everything else works fine. I've only ever had the rev counter wired up to pin 7. its a g reg 8v gti (digifant) i think it was a late 89 model. it worked again when i put a different sensor in.
    Edited by: stew

18. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

bugger :(

gotta be wiring or some kind, or the sensor isn't screwed in properly or something....seems very very odd...

19. stew New Member

i know, its so bloody annoying, especially with all the speed cameras around. and my car attracts unwanted attention because of how it looks anyway.

20. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

why how does it look, pics pics pics!