Mk3 Foglights don`t work

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by dUff, Dec 12, 2003.

1. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

Hi
    I have been trying to figure out how the Mk3 foglights work as my front ones do not come on. ( K plate Mk3 VR6 )
    The switch led lights up when you pull it to position 1, the rear fog works ok on position 2, i have replaced one of the front units as it was smashed so i know at least one should work.

If i pull the fog light fuse it stops the back one going off, but is there a extra relay for the front fog lights ??

I am gonna swap light switch with another VR at the weekend to see if that works.

I found some info on the Net but it was for the USA conversion to Euro foglights and my fusebox is not the same as that ..

ANy ideas ?

Cheers

2. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

There's no relay for the fogs - just a plug in jumper where the relay should be. 3rd from the right on the bottom row of relays. You could check this but presumably it would stop the rears from working as well.

It may be as simple as the loom connectors to the fog lights have corroded. You need to unplug both sides and have a good look.

Also, test to see if there is voltage when the switch is activated.

3. rick1.8t Forum Member

When i got my VR mine didn't work on the N/S. Upon taking it apart i found that the connections were corroded. So i sanded the terminal down and the connector, WD40 reconnected and hey presto!.

4. The Other Simon Forum Member

Mk3 headlight switches are complex things, and quite often the switch fails.

The pins on the back are numbered in proper DIN coding, so it's easy to work out which pin does what.

Simon.