MK3 Front fogs

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Ben8v, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Ben8v Forum Member

Hi.

I have recently brought some front fog lights for my 93 MK3 Golf GTI and just wondered if anyone new the correct way to wire them up.

At the moment there is no wiring for them (that I can see) just the normal blanking plate. The turn & pull switch had just the one pull for rear fogs.

I know I can get the correct pull switch but I think thats too expensive and it would be easier just to rig up a separate switch.

Should I get a relay and just connect a separate line from the battery and put a 20 amp fuse on it?

Also, at what point should they be able to be switched on via the switch; with the side lights, main beam, rear fogs or independently?

Cheers :)

2. The Other Simon Forum Member

OK,

You can find the headlight switches, with the front and rear fogs on e-bay for about 15.

If you do go down the extra switch route, then you need to run a feed from the sidelight wire in the loom, to a relay. The sidelight feed is not beefy enough to drive the foglights as well, so you need a relay.

Simon.

3. Ben8v Forum Member

Cheers, Thats what I thought.

I have seen some around e-bay, but isn't it the case with OE switches that if you want the front fogs on you have to have the rear ones on aswell or is it the other way round??

Is there defiantly no wiring already in place, no relay/fuse sockets in fuse board?

In that case if I got an OE switch I would still have to put in a relay? Would the plug in the current switch fit in this case?
    Edited by: Ben8v

4. muppet Forum Member

5. binliner Forum Member

its the other way round anyway but like muppet said surely its
    foggy behind you as well as in front?!

6. Ben8v Forum Member

Oh dear, I appear to upset people by saying this. [:s] Don't worry I am not planning on becoming the sort of t**t that drives around with his front fogs on just to dazzle on coming cars with, just wondered !!!!!!

anyway back to my question, if a MK3 was made without front fogs is there any wiring that will already be there or do I have to start from scratch?

7. Golfgirl Forum Member

I don't have front fogs on mine and there's no wiring either.

8. Ben8v Forum Member

Ok, so if I decide to get an OE switch then surely the plug on the current one wont fit on the one with a front fog switch?

I have been thinking and it would be nice (if I can get one cheap enough) to have a genuine VW switch as then it won't look like a bodged up mod.

9. The Other Simon Forum Member

Dear Ben, try reading the other threads on foglights.

1. All the wiring is there from the switch to the connector at the front of the engine bay (above the radiator). The kit should have a wire to plug into that connector.

2. VW headlight switches will let you turn on the front fogs with just the sidelights on. They come with a two position pull-out so you can have just the front - or both front and back on. In fact you can use your current single position switch - it will just turn both front and back on together.

3. It is illegal to drive with your foglights on when visibility is greater than 100m. It is further illegal to drive with your sidelights on. You make yourself a very clear and obvious target for the police.

4. You don't need a relay, but you do need a metal link in the realy board. It shoudl already be there, but if is isn't, I have posted the part number on another thread.

Simon.

10. S1MMA Forum Member

I must say that I use my front foglights more than my rears in light fog for example. I'll only put the rears on if it's quite heavy fog, and someone will have major problems seeing the back of my car, otherwise it just dazzles people.

Also in v heavy fog, I find that the sidelight position with front fogs on gives better visability than having the full front lights on as they reflect badly against the fog. So it may be worth having the proper switch in the dash to control them. Just my 2p...

11. del_trotter Forum Member

Simon - is it only GTI's that have the wiring there?

I've taken off the switch on my GL before and there is no wire for front fogs going into the switch connector.

I haven't looked in the engine bay yet.

12. The Other Simon Forum Member

Now that is a very interesting question. Acording to EKTA, there is only one type of wiring loom from the switch to the fusebox - 1H2 971 055 M. So I can't see why your loom doesn't have one. And the main engine bay looms don't seem to have any variants for lighting.

So I thought that all the Golfs had the wiring as far as the connector at the front of the engine bay.

The official dealer front foglight kit only contains the switch, the foglights, blanking plate, and wire to the connector.

Simon.

13. Ben8v Forum Member

Thats excellent. So all I need is the pull out switch to activate them. If I want to add my own switch can I do this simply by splicing in to the current wiring going to the existing switch? If I can, you wouldnt happen to know the correct coloured wires to connect the switch to?

If my fog lights dont come with the wire to connect to this connection by the grille, is it easily obtainable, can I get it from VW?

I had a look at my fuse box last night and there is 1 metal link where it looks like a relay should go. I am assuming that is correct, and I wont need to do anything else.

Once again thanks for your help.

Also just as a little foot note, Id thought I mention that I upgraded my headlight wiring loom on my MK2 Golf as driving the MK3 then the MK2 made me realise how utterly naff the standard MK2 lighting is.

It didnt take much, nicked some old relays out of an old MK2 fuse box I had lying around, some connectors, fuses, high amp cable and hay presto.

And WOW what an awesome difference it made. The light is so much sharper and whiter (even with just the standard bulbs). Anyone who hasnt done this mod already, I highly recommend it!!!

14. The Other Simon Forum Member

Not off the top of my head, but the DIN wiring codes (56=headlight, etc) are on the back of the headlight switch.
    It's a bit of wire. Not hard to get hold of. The kit should come with one.
    That's the one.

Should work

Simon.

15. CoRnBuRn Forum Member

Do front fogs bother you all that much? Until i'd seen how much people on here hate it i hadn't noticed it really but now it sticks out and seems like about 1 in 5 cars have them on now. Can't say it bothers me that much, apart from some of the jap cars that have massive things that blind you for about 2 seconds afterwards. Golf ones aren't that bad anyway are they? Being close to the middle they don't seem to make any difference. Personally I don't use them when they're not needed cuz it just makes you look like a dick trying to show off like ooh, look at me, i got front fog lights, don't they make me look cool in my F reg faded red nova, Er, no.[:s]

Sorry, it took me 3 months to get mine working and that had them as standard! So i'm not much use for you really :)
    Edited by: CoRnBuRn