Mk3 fuel tank into a Mk2 VR6 - HELP!

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by J66KE B, Sep 26, 2017.

1. J66KE B Forum Member

Hi all I'm in need of some solid advice. Have asked this question on a number of facebook pages hoping for a quick and easy answer but I'm getting conflicting information and further away from the answer!

My Mk2 was originally an 8v GTI (1989) - I have a 2.8 12v OBD1 VR6 conversion (engine from a 1994 Mk3 Golf) still running the original Mk2 fuel tank and external pump.

The fuel pump assembly is knackered/ rusty/ corroded along with some of the clamps and pipes perishing etc, so I'd like to upgrade to a Mk3 tank with the in-tank pump.

I have been told that early VR6's run at 4bar and later VR6's run at 3bar. It has also been said that Mk3 8v and 16v GTI's run at 3bar, so use the same tank and pump as the later VR6's. Are these statements correct?

Also, regardless of whether they run at different pressures surely the pump should be spec'd to supply higher than that, I find it hard to believe that VW would have only rated the pump to the exact pressure the fuel rail needs?

I have scoured etka to find a part number for the Mk3 in-tank pump but it's not on there. I've found the diagram with the fuel tank and filter etc but there's no pump, have checked all model years from 1993 up to 1997. I wanted to use this part number to look up the pump to see what the pressure range was.

I got the part number for the Mk2 fuel pump I'm running currently (191906090), the max pressure it can supply is 7.8bar.

So the main question I need an answer to is:

Can I use the fuel tank and pump from a Mk3 8v or 16v or VR6 regardless of the production year, or do I have to use the components from an early VR6?

Many thanks as always!

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

First of all the tank, lines and filter carrier are the same for all MK3 Golf/cab/vento with petrol engine in, so easy to find a donor for all that. The fuel pump itself is whats different. As you have foudn out, the early VR6 pre-96 has a 4 bar fuel pump, also used in the corrado VR6 and later G60.

The in-tank fuel pump in ETKA is found in the electrical section, not the fuel section so thats probably why you cant find it. The early VR 4 bar unit is part number 1H0919651Q, the gti/16v and later vr6 3 bar one is 1H0919651P.

These were made by VDO, from my research I believe the VDO part numbers are E22-041-056Z for the 3 bar which from a VDO tech PDF I found is listed to supply 80litres per hour at 3 bar. the 4 bar pump is E22-041-060Z and spec for that is 80l/hr @ 4bar

The MK2 digifant pump is bosch part number 0 580 453 914, and according to a Bosch pdf I have here it can deliver 75l/hr at 3 bar. so I'm not sure where the figures in your link have come from?

But early G60 mk2 also use the same pump as the digifant though they also use the same 3bar FPR as the digifant MK2, where the early VR6 has a 4 bar FPR

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    J66KE B likes this.
  3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

This list of pumps and what they flow at was posted by myself here

The early pumps reserved capacity to run engines that were fitted with 4 bar fuel rail regulators.
    When vehicles switched over to EU2 controls after August 1995, pump ratings were based on new FPR ratings of 3bar.

J66KE B likes this.
  4. J66KE B Forum Member

Perfect, thanks for the tank info Jon. Called up a guy on Wednesday who was breaking a Mk3 and lives 2 minutes away from me.... "hello mate I'm after the fuel tank assembly etc can you give me a price".... "ah afraid not mate, we drilled holes in it to drain the fuel after it arrived" lol:clap:

Anyway, managed to pick one up today on my travels for 60 all-in with the lines and loom etc, lucky I drive about so much for work! It's from a later VR6 so has the 3bar pump.

Looking at buying a new 4bar pump here - https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/search?keyword=E22-041-060Z - The prices range from around 50 up to 250 for the OEM VDO unit. Will probably opt for the cheaper one, can't see any reason not to?

Ps. For the Mk2 pump info I was looking at this diagram, part number 191906090. Googled it and ended up here. Although that says in-tank pump so no idea how I've eneded up there!

5. J66KE B Forum Member

Ah, so it's both the fuel pump and the FPR that differs between the early and late VR6's then.

When looking around for a pump at first there are so many 3bar ones for sale which are listed as compatible with the early engines, really misleading!

Thanks for the help guys :thumbup:

6. Toyotec

You use either. I have mapped VR supercharged cars with the stock 3bar pump and plenty of fuel flow.

7. J66KE B Forum Member

Ahh ok great. So I can use the tank and 3bar pump with my early-spec VR6, plug and play without any other adjustments to map or anything?

8. Toyotec

Yes as far as I know.

J66KE B likes this.
  9. J66KE B Forum Member

Thanks Toyo, the new tank and pump will be going in later this week so I'll keep this thread updated with results.

Toyotec likes this.
  10. Mal C Forum Member

when putting a mk3 tank into a mk2 golf do you only need the wiring plug for the mk3 pump or the full loom to fusebox ? are the fuel lines fine as they are ?

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if you have a CE2 mk2, it makes sense to pull the wiring loom out complete front to back. Then you just plug it in and it works, no splicing required :thumbup:

if ce1 you could do the same but crimp the right pin on for the CE1 fusebox, or splice it to the original mk2 wiring loom. If you do, follow the level sensor wiring back to the 2 pin plug under the boot carpet. splice the 2 thick pump wires here, not direct to the lifter pump wires. The lifter wires are too small wire gauge, you'll see what I mean! the 2 thinner wires are for the level sender, you can splice them to the matching colours on the lifter loom if you want no problem.

12. Mal C Forum Member

CE2 so nice n easy cheers RJ

13. J66KE B Forum Member

Mk3 tank in with original 3bar pump and no issues whatsoever :thumbup:

Thanks again.