mk3 golf 1.4 injection

Discussion in '8-valve' started by SSSmk1, Jul 23, 2008.

1. nickh89GTi Forum Member

when it does run does it sound like there is a lot of air escaping from around the fuel rail area? I had my fuel rail out on my GTi and i had damaged one of the rubber O rings on the bottom of the injector and so wasn't sealing in the head and gave a really bad air leak.

Have a listen around the fuel rail to see if you can here any air leaking from this area.

Nick

2. SSSmk1 Forum Member

Not sure about the air leak on the injectors, i will check that later, but im sure i would have heard the leaks when i was searching the vac lines for leaks.

3. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Have you tried the fuel pump relay? May not be the fault tho just an idea. Unsure how you test them tho. rubjonny may know that?

Which fuel pump did you change?

4. SSSmk1 Forum Member

No not changed the relay, which relay is it?

I changed the intank fuel pump, do they have two fuel pumps on these cars???

Cheers

5. nickh89GTi Forum Member

I'm not to sure on the mk3 where the fuel pump relay is. I assume its the same as the late mk2's. There is a fusebox FAQ done by rubjonny which is very useful and should tell you locations or relays etc.

I assume you re-attached the lift pump plug which would be inside the tank now. I think there is usually two fuel pumps on injection cars. The second one should be under the car by the rear beam.

6. SSSmk1 Forum Member

Yeah the lift pump is all connected up as it was, im pretty sure it does not have a second pump mounted under the car but could be wrong. will ahve a look.

Cheers, i was just looking at the fusebox FAQs and found it would be a 167 relay

7. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Do you know anyone with the same car? If you do you could borrow their fuel pump relay to rule it out rather than spending bout 25quid on a new one to find out its not causing the problem.

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

it can also be a #67 dependin on de year. Take off the fuel return line and blow thru it, make sure it aint blocked. wont taste nice tho :lol:
    The fuel one is at de bottom right :thumbup:

9. SSSmk1 Forum Member

Borrowed my mates cars fuel relay last night, #167, it made no difference, i then blew through the return pipe and it went through to the tank just fine.

Now im really stuck on what it can be!

10. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Does it start at all at the moment? Have you disconnected any earths and left them off when refitting everything? Have you checked for power across all the injectors? This is me just guessing at things now?

Is there a vacuum pipe on the back of the throttle body and is it plugged?

11. SSSmk1 Forum Member

Yes it starts but only runs for 15-20 seconds then cuts out and it will only run at very very low/lumpy ilde!

Yes all earths have been double checked and put back on, i have not checked the voltage across the injectors tho.

I just dont have the time to work on it no more so its gone to the garage who is a friend, so ill let them deal with it!

But thanks guys you have been a great help atleast we ruled out further faults.

Ill post up an update once they get the car running.... thats if they ever get it running.

Cheers,

12. nickh89GTi Forum Member

I'm sure they will and no doubt it'll turn out to be something really small n stupid.

13. rubjonny

worth pluggin vag com into it, see if the ecu is winging about anything?

14. SSSmk1 Forum Member

Ive had vag-com on it 4times but no codes or faults!

15. rubjonny

did you check the immobilisor codes?

16. SSSmk1 Forum Member

We didnt check them as they came up as being ok, but i do have another key for the car so will try that in there. but would the engine still run if there is a immobiliser fault?

17. rubjonny

yeah it'll run for a few seconds then cut out if the immobilisor is kicking in, if you check in vag com it should have a log if the immobilisor is being triggered, and it';ll tell you if its a faulty signal or unrecognised key. had the same issue on my mates abf!

18. nickh89GTi Forum Member

It will run for a short while and then the immobiliser will cut the engine out. Thinking about it my mate has just re-shelled his 16v mk3 GTi after writing it off and he's gotta get his new key coded to the immobiliser as it starts and then cuts out.

19. rubjonny

tell him to get his old key and selotape it inside the transponder ring :lol:

20. nickh89GTi Forum Member

He's got a key coder at work apparently. See you beat me with the immobilser answer. :lol: :lol: