mk3 Golf electric window problem

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by h4mill, Feb 11, 2009.

1. h4mill Forum Member

Hi

There's loads of threads on here about mk3 Golfs and problems with electric windows but I've had a search and read through most of them and can't find any that helped me, so hoping someone can shed some light on the problem! :)

Drivers side electric window is not going up or down,

motor makes a slight noise but not very loud, and window doesn't move,

passenger side is working OK, from both drivers side switch and its own switch,

took the door panel off and removed complete system from the door, there doesn't seem to be anything stopping the clamps (that go on to the bottom of the window) from being able to move up and down although I couldn't manually move them by hand - which meant it was a pain in the ass getting it in and out as I couldn't move the window clamps to a position to get at them!

tested with a voltmeter and switch is getting power ok (7.5v) as well as the motor getting a permanent feed (again of 7.5v) the motor also seems to be getting power on one of the pins when the switch is pressed for window to go up

I took one of the motors/runners from the back which I know is working and tried it in the front (wasn't all connected it was just hanging bedside the door) and it did exactly the same, slight noise, but no movement

tried holding the key in the drivers door, passenger window went down but nothing from drivers side (back windows are a whole other story!)

I'm not sure if this is connected or not but it may make sense to someone with a bit more knowledge than me, a few weeks ago my alternator belt snapped - I'm not sure but I've a feeling this problem started at the same time.

(the speedo definitely stopped working as soon as the belt broke, I was driving it at the time which I thought was very strange but it has started working again fine since I replaced the belt [:s] )

If that bit of info doesn't help then just ignore it!

If anyone could help me out here it'd be much appreciated before I have to resort to giving it to an auto-spark, it's baffled me!!!

Cheers

2. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

That was a good move, trying a working mechanism in the drivers' door. Does the front door mechanism work when connected in a rear door? The pcb controlling the drivers door motor is slightly different from the others.

The result, still just a clicking relay trying to switch the motor, suggests a poor or broken earth wire in the drivers door harness. If you haven't done so already, check the wiring inside the rubber trunking between the door and the 'A' pillar. The earth wire is a thick Brown lead.

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

get the mtoor off the mech. see if the motor turns properly.

if it does you need a new mech

4. h4mill Forum Member

I never even thought at the time to try the front door mechanism in the back!

Think it was getting dark and I was too [xxx] off at this stage with not getting anywhere as well as having my hand cut to pieces by the inside of the door! :)

The motor makes a slight hum as if it should be working, but... just... isn't... [:s] makes no sense to me!

My first thoughts with anything electrical would be fuse or relay but I've been assuming that if they were at fault then there would be others things not working as well.

(the back drivers window doesn't work, but has never worked since I bought the car, it's getting no power whatsoever, from way before this problem, i was thinking a broken wire somewhere. I really should've sorted it before now but owning a 3 door before and with anyone rarely in the back I just never bothered, my main thing is to get the drivers window sorted anyway so I'll not get side-tracked!)

Somethings for me to go on here at the weekend anyway, see if I can get anywhere then - cheers :thumbup:

Anymore ideas please keep them coming [:D]

5. J55AYE Forum Member

I had the same problem in my old GL TDI

Water got inside the motor itself, take the screws off the motor casing and check inside if its dry then the relay on the side of the motor might be gone, they are handed to so the passenger one wont work if you swap it they wind the opposite way,

Also look at the cable itself, right where the cable meets the pully there is a spring and a clip it meets, the clips easily snap off so you lose tension and it will not wind

6. h4mill Forum Member

Finally got this problem sorted (ages ago - just haven't been on here in a long time!)

Turned out to be a mixture of problems, the wiring was the main one with problems where the wires go into the rear doors, fixed this and also discovered a problem with the mechanism for the window itself.

Would suggest to anyone as was suggested to me, check these first! :)

Cant find the words to describe it right now (its late and I'm tired!) although there was an easy fix posted on VW Vortex which I'll have to try and find again and post here - it might be of use to someone in the future :)