Mk3 Golf GTI 16v Buying Guide?

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Funkyfin2000, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

yeah will grab one off ebay chepa too!

2. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

mudflaps removed............looks much nicer...

now for tow bar and new rear bumper...

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

how is the car? whats it run like? whats the condition of the plugs? you in love? lol

4. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

Welllllllllllll im looking for a few things now..

rear headrests as i think it looks horrible without them! where the hell do i find them from for a recaro interior! Bet there rare as rocking horse.... presume VR6 bench be best?

didn't check the plugs yet...but i did pull the leads out....cylinder 1,3 and 4 are fine. 2 has bit of oil on the thing i pulled out, so will clean that and see if it comes back.

Drives nice, wouldn't say im in love, its pretty slow, but gets going once you rev the nuts of it....:)

I also wouldn't mind a 3rd brake light, but having trouble finding one of them...

Rich

5. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

he is clearly loving it so much he is spending his time actually driving it!!!

think I have found some bbs solitude's for 25!!!! hopefully picking them up friday :)

pretty mank apparently but Im refurbing them and pimping them anyway so no bother there...

6. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

you brake? what a gay..... once you learn that the thing won't blow up if you put it in 2nd at 50 mph then it will feel a fair bit quicker!!!! lol

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

yup, lifting is for pussys

8. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

lol.....hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

9. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

checked the rust properly today and theres a hole in the sill. so i think thats a cut out job! :( expensive i reckon!

10. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

show us a picture of it.... the rusty bit and the whole car!!!

11. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

coming up pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

looks really nice that (apart from the rust!)

have you been to a body shop to get a quote yet?

13. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

yeah its really really tasty.....just needs a good clean and polish and some care on a few bits...

need some seat handles! grrrrrrrrrrrrr 4 of them to be precise!

gonna pull all the trim off and replace the plastic bits too so its all clean too...

not been to body shopp yet, and i have to get the tow bar off and get the new bumper sprayed and fitted too!

14. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

why do you need a new bumper? because of the tow bar??

I wouldn't replace all the plastic trim unless it is scratched etc, use a heat gun and heat it all up and it'l look good as new, would cost a fair bit and loads of hassle to replace all that!!!

what handles do you need?

15. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

new bumper due to the fact that the tow bar goes thru the old one, plus a new rear bumper sprayed up will look good.

how much u reckon that rust will cost me? needs a new section in doesn't it?

sorry with the plastic trim, meant im gonna whip the side bits off quickl, clean the paint work up and then put it all back on, and replace the clips with new stuff so it sits tight to the paintwork! :)

the handles are for the seats, when you pull them forward, all four are bust, was looking for the part number to get some ordered from vw!

16. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

I am looking into a tow bar for my vectra - hope they don't have to butcher the bumper to get it on, would like to take it off when I change car...

I really wouldn't know with that sill, you may find a place that will just weld in a repair piece for a hundred ish, or it might need a whole new sill (probably more like 250 ish)

I am planning on taking my side moulding off when I heat gun them so will give it a bit of a clean behind when I do it.. not into cleaning cars really!!!

thats a bit weird about the seats, must have had some hyperactive kids or something!!!

hows the engine, all good?

17. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

yeah engine seems good...

bit of oil when i pull out 2nd cycliner HT lead, is that something worry about?

im a cleaning car freak so will if weather is good tomorrow sort it out good and proper...

need some new mats and a new front light and all that stuff but its easy enuff to get sorted...the basics are down as its a really good car.... once that rust is sorted and rear bumper (got a genuine one off ebay brand spanking new for 25!) and the bonnet gets a blow over it will be a minter!!!

Rich

18. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

thats a bargain!!!! suppose you could maybe get the sill done at the same time as the bumper, probably be bit cheaper that way

did you see the bargain wheels I got? spent the whole weekend refurbishing them, my fingers are sore as fooook from all the intricate sanding lol

I have hopefully got a new wing coming off ebay in mystic blue for 22 delivered!!! which I thought was good

19. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

No How Much You Get The Wheels For, Im Desperate For A Set Of Those Bbx Rx2!!!!!!

20. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

yeah i really wanted those but am building my track day car on a budget so had to except defeat after people wanting 150+ for manky one's needing a big refurb.

got some bbs solitudes off another forum for 25!!!! not bad condition, should look good once on the car

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163866