Mk3 Golf heater problem... PLEASE HELP

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Rod1-GTi, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Rod1-GTi New Member

Hi all. Having a real nightmare with my mk3's heaters. I think it may be an air lock but im not 100%.

The heaters blow cold and sometimes (rarely) warm up to luke warm and then go cold if left on for any length of time.

I think the thermostat is fine as the pipes going through the bulkhead get hot but the heaters dont.

Also when driven the exansion tank fills up to above the max level as though something is stopping the water flow.

And finally after the car has been driven with the engine up to temp the expansion tank doesn't presurise, I can undo it and it doesn't hiss as it should as the presure escapes.

Please help guys my car is so cold!! [:^(]

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

3. Rod1-GTi New Member

Think i've sorted my presure problem, the rubber seal on the inside of the cap had warped so i've swapped it. everything flows as it should as far as i can tell but heaters are still stone cold. any advice?

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

5. Rod1-GTi New Member

Found out last night that the head gaskit has gone. Was up till midnight last night stripping the head. should be done today.