Mk3 Golf roll cage

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by vw-aj, Jul 26, 2013.

1. vw-aj New Member

Hi all,

I have turned my Mk3 5dr golf into a track car with a couple of mates, all is great apart from the fact all the roll cages I can find either state they are for a 3 door or they mention it.

So my question is what cage do I need for a 5 door mk3 golf?

Budget wise its only a track car so a multi point custom jobby is overkill. But msa spec is required because we would like to try and race it at some point.

Cheers AJ

2. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

I would guess that the 3 door cage would fit. Just that there would be bars preventing the use of the rear doors.
    Do you have any links of the cages you are thinking about ?

3. vw-aj New Member

4. vw-aj New Member

Im not sure why but its not letting me post links, I have been looking at the omp 10 point bolt in AB/105P/156 is the code. Use of the rear doors does not matter.

5. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

6. vw-aj New Member

Thats the one, well I guess there's one way to find out. Buy one and try to fit it. Thanks for your help TSR.

7. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

Worse comes to the worse you could easy buy a 3 door car and use that :)

But really can't see it not fitting and intact having the rear doors will make fitting a lot less of a pain :)

8. MK1jettaGTi

MK1jettaGTi Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

The OMP cage will go in without a problem I would have thought although two points come to mind:

1 = The B-pillar uprights will be behind the pillars in the car because the 5 door cars have shorter from doors than than the 3 door. You might not be able to attach the securely to anything as they will be lined up somewhere in the rear door.

2 - As mentioned already, the rear doors will be disabled. Not a problem on a stripped out track car.

Click here to see my MK3 3 door cage install to see what I mean about the main roll hoop, you'll see on the 3 door that it lines up to the B post and is actually attached there, not sure I'd want a 3 door cage in a 4 door car as location might be an issue.

Get a three door shell a re-shell it is my best advice I think.

9. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

He should be all ok with the 'B' pillar issue as these cages are bolt in ones so they would just bolt into the plates you fit. So just need to fit them behind the factory 'B' pillar.

Agree that if he is looking to move on to racing proper then starting off with a 3 door shell would be a good idea.

10. MK1jettaGTi

The problem I see is that the roll hoop on mine has a mounting plate half way up the b-piller, we welded a lug with a captive nut to the pillar and bolted the cage to that, I don't know how much affect it would have in the event of an actual roll but better safe than sorry etc.

11. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

Ah I did not know these bolted to the 'B' pillar. I have only experienced the fitting of the fully welded in cages. So see what you are saying and agree. Moreover should he get round to racing then these items will need to pass scrutiny to get on the track. Looks like it is time to hunt out a mk3 shell.

MK1jettaGTi likes this.
  12. MK1jettaGTi

Either that or get a custom made roll cage if he's serious, they aren't all that expensive if you know who to go to.

13. Pb81 Forum Member

14. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

15. vw-aj New Member

Thanks to everyone with their input. The 5 door shell is staying, the car was my 18th birthday present (well 50/50 me and my dad).
    Would love to race it, but don't really know what I can race with it?.
    So hopefully race it one day, but I can always cross that bridge when I come to it.
    Being a bolt in I could always remove/sell it and have a custom cage welded in for racing.

16. vw-aj New Member

Demon tweeks listed 2 mk3 cages on there ebay clearance site for 354. So have taken a gamble. Will keep this updated for reference if anybody else needs this information.

17. inappropriate Forum Member

I bought the other one! My mk3 is also a 5dr so perhaps we could help each other out here.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  18. inappropriate Forum Member

19. vw-aj New Member

Sounds good, I have'nt even started yet. need a free weekend. Which is something of a rarity at the moment. Have you made a start?

20. inappropriate Forum Member

Not yet I`ve just got home from 3 weeks in Florida and found my Touran wont start so need to fix that then replace the EGR valve on it, then the wife says I`m allowed to play with the golf which also needs a new clutch and cv joint!