mk3 gti's/VR's air con

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by gorilly, Sep 4, 2006.

1. gorilly Forum Member

did it happen? (and i dont mean the odd 5 that had it like the mk2's you see on ebay.. i mean is it common!)

i've only ever had mk1 /2 and mk4....

thinking about going down to a mk3 for a daily driver but don't really want a car without air con... where i live there is not much movement in the road so its not great sitting in the heat when next summer comes...

cheers

2. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I think its pretty popular. I had a mk3 vr with climatronic.

3. gorilly Forum Member

ohh yeh... not many on egay but quite a few on Atrader...

what they like mpg?

my 8v mk2 gti does over 35mpg easy... my a3 1.8t is a bit more thirsty... giving about 28mpg..

4. wagmk1 New Member

my vr6 has climate control ,
    petrol wise 32mpg is about as good as it gets!,and about 15 if you really spank it[:D] ,

5. monkeyzoo Forum Member

My Mk3 16V does about 31 to the gallon (according to the computer). I actually get about 350 miles to a tank of 97 ron - I've never taken time to work out the proper MPG. I've found though that if I use 95 ron I don't quite get the same meaning the tank doesn't last me the week so have to fill up more. I reckon the 95 and 97 ron fuels must work out about the same cost to run in the long run.

Also it is costing me the same in fuel to run the 16v than it did to run my Mk3 1.8 GL. I know which I prefer!!!

6. suttonval Forum Member

mk3's can be very economical. Ive got a mk3 16v and ive had 45mpg out of it! a nice steady 50 in fifth for a good few miles. I probably average around 36mpg which i think is pretty good for an old 2ltr petrol.

Air con is quite common on them, especially the 16v's and vr's, just make sure the bloody thing works! mine didnt.

7. gorilly Forum Member

ok thanks for that

what about cost...

how much are mk3s... what should i pay?

i will only be looking at VR's 16vs and 8v, nothing else.

i dont want leather (once you have had it you know cloth is a better idea) but air con is a must...

ive seen some minters for 3,300... that seems a bit much? or am i being optimistic...

please give me some price advice!

8. VeedubyaGTi

VeedubyaGTi Forum Member

It did happen, mines got it!...and a sunroof too, which is rare. I get about 32mpg average(on the MFA) This is the first car I`ve had with AC, and I would`nt be without it now. If you get one that works but is`nt cold enough, knock him down on price, and buy a recharge kit from halfrauds or similar for about 30ish, do it yourself, did mine a few months ago, easy-peasy;)

9. craggsy Forum Member

My VR has climate and a sunroof too