Mk3 Hatred

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by GolfD, Jan 11, 2007.

1. GolfD Forum Member

2. The db

The db Forum Junkie

mk4

[​IMG]

The only super safe cars on the road are the renaults. Some of the pics of them after the ncap testing is unreal considering the speeds they test crash the cars at. Rubbish and French I know, but safe.

3. vduben Forum Member

i sence some bitterness going on:lol:
    in my opinion im not too keen any more, was going to get a 1.9tdi, but just going to get a 8valve gti mk 2:)

4. funkbaron Forum Junkie

We've knocked the nail into the coffin on the mk2 - mk3 weight issue now:lol:

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

we need the crash test pics of the mk3. if they suck as badly as the mk2 then the mk3 truely sucks

6. vduben Forum Member

all ready does dont it matt;)
    j/k dude, just nt my taste:)

7. scottymk2 Forum Member

i have had a mk2 (with a 2.0 16v) and a mk3 (2.0 16v, current car). yes the mk2 is obviously lighter and faster, and for a track car, i would buy the mk2 over the mk3.

however, if you can only afford one car and its for a daily drive , and a lot of motorway miles i choose the mk3 - its smoother, more comfy etc, yes its heavier but you get other things for that weight - less road noise, better crash protection etc. i also think the abf is a simpler engine to fix/diagnose at home than a kjet.

i must add that i had a crash in my mk2 - at about 30 - 40 mph, the car was f****d, inner wing and chassis leg bent up, one turret an inch higher than the other etc - not too inspiring lol. i am by no means a mk2 hater, i love them, i want another and will get one when i have the money and time. however, i also love my mk3 and it isnt a "bad" car at all, its just not as hardcore as a mk2. as i said, mk2 for the track, mk3 for everything else!

edit: i never figured out how the mk4 gets off so easily, i may be wrong but isnt the 1.8T gti the fastest, and isnt that 150bhp? same as a mk3 16v but heavier...

8. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Not very relevant to the thread but I'd rather have my mangled body cut out of a wrecked Mk2 than drive a Scenic

9. paul_c Forum Member

The problem with a Mk3 is that its neither old enough to be a classic, or young enough to have "new car" appeal. To be honest I am only really into the older cars anyway, VWs are just mass-produced cars similar to others these days. All the manufacturers have become more similar to each other.

10. N1CK Forum Junkie

How can you say that, with no factual evidence to back that up?[:s]

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

if its as bad as the mk2 crash test wise then the mk3 is officially poor

12. nealey Forum Junkie

well slam your car into a wall or a similar hard object, take some pics then we can work out what comes off worse in a head on smash. :lol: :lol:

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

what speed do you reocn he was doing?

got any shin pads i could borrow?

14. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

That would solve the abs light problem too.

15. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i think we may be on to something here

16. suttonval Forum Member

Think its terrible the way everyone is having a dig at the mk3's. I think mines great and does its job very well. Fine if you want a car to throw around a track, but personally i never take it on track days and cover about 400 miles a week in it. Its good and solid on the motorway and can handle well as it is in comparison to many other cars ive driven. As its my daily driver ive gotta take practicality and useability into account. There are times when it would be good to have a bit extra power, but it can certainly embarass quite a lot of cars as it is.

Guess its down to personal taste, but i think the mk3 is a much nicer looking car than the mk2 otherwise i would of gone the mk2 route! Call me old but the mk3 is a bit more practical aswell with more room etc in it. Havent seen many mk3 smashes but the ones i have seen, seem to of held up very well whereas the mk2's crumple like a crisp packet!

Definately going to stick to the mk3 for now and maybe add an s3 to the line up. Would be good to have a thrash in a mk2 at some point, but given the garage space extra cost etc i wouldnt go as far as to buy one.

Matt82: what happened to this mini-midlands meet ??

17. richellis Forum Member

got a pic of the mk3 crash test not good quality as its from a book. looks to hold up better than the pic of the mk2 as the sill isnt bent!
    Cant host the pic but if some one else will pm me and ill e-mail it to you

18. Seraph Banned

[​IMG]

Is this authentic?
    If so, why is a car crashing into some tool boxes![:s]

19. dubstar Forum Member

I`ve got a mk3 and i hate it nothing but problems with it, and its ugly.

wish i`d never sold my old mk2 now biggest mistake i ever made

20. Mr-GTI Forum Member

I really like my MK3 and this is my second one now, I've had more than my fair share of MK1s, mk2s and think as natural progression I'm trying a VR6

Taste is a personal thing but I think it looks good especially when lowered. Most of us change the suspension on our cars anyway so the standard soggy set up nearly always gets replaced as a matter of course.

As some one has said in the thread the mk3 GTI was launched when hot hatches where getting some bad press so VW played it safe with the GTI (a bit too safe with the 8v) but hey they are still nice cars.

Just thank god you don't own one of these - if you do don't hit anything head on!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPpU5azjCB8&mode=related&search=

This is my VR
    [​IMG]