Mk3 misfiring and lacking power

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Baberacer, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Baberacer Forum Member

She is defo worth it next to no rust on her just mechanical issues . My dad taught me every thing I know about cars from age of 7 I've been working on cars it not usual for a lass to be more interested in cars then their brother . She will be back to good working order I'm now limited to what I can do as just been made redundant so not pleased its all happening at once . So anyone with any spare mk3 gti bits that I could have would be greatly appreciated . I'm now thinking the lack of power is due to exhaust been shot from the manifold back and for some reason she has a 8v cat on a 16v car ?

2. Baberacer Forum Member

Well just another update having replaced all the bits that where faulty or leaking or broke I still haven't got to the bottom of the lack of power ! I have checked for any faults with the vagcom finding none so I'm at a loss as to what it could be . Anyone got any suggestions

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

disconnect the lambda and try it, see if that helps. if it does you need a new one. do the same test with the hall sender plug on the dizzy. best to double check all the timing marks too, including the 2 punch marks on the cam shaft sprockets. have you checked the ecu measuring blocks in vag-com, with this you can look at the ecu temp sensor, tps etc so it can help you trace a faulty sensor that vag-com hasnt picked up on (this can happen if say the ecu temp is returning coolant values within reasonable limits, but higher/lower than the actual ecu temp)

4. Baberacer Forum Member

No I haven't checked the ecu measuring blocks how do you get the vagcom to do that ?

5. rubjonny

when you go into the ecu section, click 'measuring blocks' then you can cycle thru them all. you'll want to install the abf ecu label files so its a bit more clear what everything is:
    http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=199583

that link also has a lot of handy information on testing the idle switch :)

6. Baberacer Forum Member

According to mine I can only check the engine a/t srs and abs so I have no idea

7. rubjonny

ah, its not vag-com you are using then, but some kind of aftermarket code reader? if so i cant really help with that. if you have a laptop though a vag-0com cable can be had for 10 off ebay

8. Baberacer Forum Member

Yeah I have one of them too so will have to set that up then have a look as its telling me I have no codes but there must be something it just seems complicated to set up

9. rubjonny

yeah sometimes you wont get any if as far as the ecu can see everything reads right. as i say like with temp sensors if duff they can still read something believable, but too hot/cold.

when you load up vag-com, click 'select' under select control module (top left button) then on the next screen click '01-engine' (top left again). let it find the ecu then you can select 'meas blocks-08, 'fault codes-02' etc.

10. Baberacer Forum Member

Cheers for that will be doing that later on today