Mk3 mods

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by stainesy, Jan 8, 2010.

1. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Your Golf is not quick, and it does not handle well - sorry but that is a fact. Even my mk3 16v Golf with all its mods and uprated suspension doesn't come close to going like, or handling like my mk2 16v.

If you spend some serious money on the VR6 engine you may be able to get it up somewhere between 250-280bhp. I'd imagine that any kind of power over 190bhp on the 8v engine (ie if you turbo'd it or supercharged it) would probably cause you to eat gearbox's for breakfast. If you want something fun go and buy a mk1 or mk2. mk2 3dr weighs just over a tonne and if you build up the 16v engine to about 190-200bhp and put it on decent suspension its good fun. If you want over 300bhp then you'll need to dump a great big dirty engine (20v turbo, R32, V-Tec) into the car - but remember its FWD so laying down power over 240bhp is going to be an issue. My friends old Raddo G60 was RR'd at 232bhp and it span the wheels in every gear!

2. stainesy Forum Member

i no i already have a front wheel drive car with more than 300bhp so i no all about trying to put power down. LOL

3. chrismc Forum Junkie

What exactly are you aiming for with the golf?? T5 levels of performance/power?

The VR6 is old hat by modern standards & the mk3 Golf not one of Volkswagens best chassis' either, coilovers or not!

If you are looking for a fun and 'fast' car then I think you need to go back to the drawing board ;)

4. stainesy Forum Member

when i started this thread i simply asked what mods where out there for the 1.8 8v golf apart from exhaust and filter simply to see what is out there for it as i was just gona tinker with it out of bordum.
    i wasnt thinking of makng it a monster at all.
    it was just me finding out was there was.
    i already have a total monster of a car and was realy just seeing what i could do to the small family run around for abit of fun.

5. chrismc Forum Junkie

well all the normal tuning basics apply.....

Why not do a search in the 8v and mk3 sections for starters...

Total waste of effort IMO if it's not even a GTi[:$]

6. stainesy Forum Member

i hear what you are saying mate was mainly asking as im gona give the car to my wife and was gona beef it up a little bit for her.

7. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

MK3's can be made to handle well, they'll never be integra type r good, but they're certainly not the worst car out there.

What specifically do you want to do to the car, are you looking to make it faster, handle better or just make it look better? And more importantly have you checked with the mrs? :lol:

8. k plate Forum Member

If it's a family runaround then surely tighter suspension is out of the question

9. stainesy Forum Member

i just want to make it abit sportyer for the misses. she is into nice cars and so for i have managed to make it look nice for her now i want to give it abit more ooomph.
    well i think filter and exhaust is a start mate.
    may just leave it at that.

10. stainesy Forum Member

it already came with coilovers when i bought it and the kids dont seem to mind the bumpy ride.