Mk3 power steering in mk2

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by 16vkrNL, Jan 8, 2023.

1. 16vkrNL New Member

Hi all,

Ive recently swaped my KR to a Mk3 subframe, including a power assisted steering rack. My question is, which brackets would i need to fit the Mk3 power steering pump to my kr? i got a 1.9 TDI laying around with brackets but the belt is completly different from my KR.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1.8-2.0 8v or 16v petrol engine mk3, plus some of the 1.6 engines strip everything off and dont forget the mounting studs etc. you'll need an abf crank pulley though which is the hardest part to source. if the donor has aircon you'll want a ribbed waterpump pulley from a non-ac version, and there are 3 lengths of alternator belt depending on what age/engine the donor stuff came from just take a piccy of your alternator bracket and we can ID what belt you need

3. rubjonny

the tdi stuff I dont think will work as its got to account for the diesel pump, but you can always try offering it up. all the mk3 have a ribbed belt to drive the alternator and waterpump plus a V belt to drive the pas pump. if there are any part numbers on the stuff you have post them up that'll help ID if they're any use to you

4. 16vkrNL New Member

Hi Jonny,

ive uploaded the pictures of the TDI and the KR. The TDI bracket didnt fit so ill just have to buy the mounting brackets for the KR. My TDI seems to have a V belt running along the waterpump and pas pump. Ill try to get some partnumbers aswell.

https://imgur.com/a/LMVKxgX

The red circle in the TDI pic is where the pas pump was located

5. rubjonny

yeah to use the mk3 pump you would need all of the alternator setup to go with it, the pump pulley offset is wrong for a MK2 even though the bare pump will actually bolt up to the mk2 brackets.

just not 100% sure if the TDI stuff will fit a petrol engine. looking at it everything is pushed further forward and it looks like theres a bolt into the alternator bracket from the diesel pump assembly. I guess it may all still go on though just have a big gap where the pump sits?

6. 16vkrNL New Member

Ah that's a bummer. I'll just see if I can find a set of MK2 mounts and an abf pulley. I'd rather not replace the belt/alternator since I have no experience with changing belts on parts which require timing.

So I might ask a shop to do it after I bolted the pump to the car. But I'm wondering what you think would be best

7. rubjonny

as long as all the mk2 brackets and fixings are good you're fine, and mk2 pumps arent hard to get on ebay.

if it was me I'd keep what I have for now and just have an ear to the ground for the mk3 kit later, as I say the hardest part is the abf crank pulley everything else is the same as 8v

8. 16vkrNL New Member

Will the MK2 pump fit on the Mk3 hoses? the banjo bolt is the same size? if so ill just scrap the mk3 pump all together and buy the Mk2 stuff. i already have the Mk3 rack mounted so i dont want to pull it out again

9. rubjonny

yes, but the mk3 banjo seals on the outside of the insert which is often too pitted to get a good seal, but you can try to buff it flat. worst case you can unscrew the mk2 insert and thread the mk3 one in though. going the other way the mk2 pipe fits mk3 pump and wont leak so long as the seal is in good nick

10. davidut5 Forum Member

At the moment i have on my 1.6driver pas brackets from mk3 2.0 8v, with a passat b5 ZF pump, 120A mk3 alternator.
    The pump has 1cm spacer on the pulley, otherwise had to clear some metal around banjo bolt, was hitting one of the brackets. Before this pump had another still from a b5 passat but for another system, koyo maybe, that one fitted with just pulley spacer. Got replaced for the noise it made.
    What i am saying is you can fit almost anything with little "adjustement".

11. 16vkrNL New Member

Ive just ordered these brackets. Am i missing one or is this sufficient? my car has no AC so i wont need an AC bracket
    https://imgur.com/a/hYJzIOO

12. 16vkrNL New Member

Thats good to hear, ill have a go at it and see what comes up :thumbup:

13. rubjonny

the mk4 golf 20v pump is the same offset as mk2, but sometimes the pipe fittings can be awkward. the 20v boys often use the mk2 pumps if the mk4 one hits the chassis leg so thats a potential. mk3 pump is not so easy since the pullet will poke too far out to line up with the v-belt belt, though sometimes you find the outer flange where the bolts fit is a separate piece to the middle hub and it can be knocked inwards a bit

heres the complete parts list for what you need for the mk2 setup. the odd T bolt '22' used to set tension will be the main sticking point I expect. you're missing part 9 053145515 as well
    Clipboard01.jpg

14. 16vkrNL New Member

Thank you! regarding Bolt 22
    https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/eu/035145541-power-steering-pump-support-eye-bolt.html

Is this the one?

15. rubjonny

yep thats the one, expensive bit of kit :lol:

16. 16vkrNL New Member

17. rubjonny

if you're using the mk2 pas setup you need the mk2 16v v-belt pulley(s) depending what setup you go for. on that note for the mk2 pas forgot to say, you need 16v alternator bracket 051260885A. main damped crank pulley for KR is 027105243 but I assume you already have that.

Then there's some info here on the 2 versions of the KR setup and which pulleys you need for each:
    https://www.clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/mk2-golf-dampened-water-pulley-nightmare.289809/

if you go mk3 then any petrol 1.8-2.0 8v or 16v will do for everything including PAS v-belts, you just need the abf ribbed belt crank pulley for the alternator 037105243B

18. 16vkrNL New Member

It's been a while but after waiting forever on parts I can start finishing my build.

I went with the original kr setup but I'm running into issues with the additional crank pulley. It seems to be sticking out way too much, is this the wrong one? Part number
    : 055105255J
    IMG_20230329_110309.jpg

19. rubjonny

055105255J is an 8v one, you need 026105255D for the early KR pas setup with waterpump slipper pulley, or 051105255 for the late setup

20. 16vkrNL New Member

051105255 feels like an unicorn... Nobody seems to sell it