MK3: Replace crossovers?

Discussion in 'ICE' started by Wombar, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Wombar Forum Member

Hi All,

I'm looking to upgrade my standard MK3(97 GTI) speakers to a decent set of components(possibly the back as well but haven't decided yet).

My question is this, I am assuming that there must be some kind of crossovers in there already to prevent the tweeters in the dash from blowing. So do I need to put the new crossovers that come with the speakers or can I just connect up the wiring?

I'm also not sure whether to upgrade the back set, what do you lot think?

I'm not looking for an award winning system, just a decent sounding system that has some guts to it when I turn it up. I've got some pretty good 6x9s which were really good in my last car but I can't be bothered to put them in if a couple of sets of decent components will do the job.

BTW looking to spend 100-150 on the components(per set) any suggestions?

2. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

There are no crossovers as such. There is a small capacitor soldered to each tweeter which acts as a high pass crossover.

If you're going to get to a set of comps with separate crossovers you'll have to do some wiring work.

Kenwood do a drop in replacement set - KFCP723EC.

Do a search in this forum and you'll see this question has arisen many times.

3. Madbloke Forum Member

Not seen the speakers in a mk3 but did a recent Clio and I thought that there maybe a crossover behind the dash as couldnt see anything on the tweeter or mid already fitted as std in the car.

Even if there was dont use it as the crossover that comes with the comp is designed for those speakers and arent really universal.

Pioneers are good at the mo - sound nice and reasonable money

I wouldnt bother with rear comps and definitley not 6x9's! [:x] [:x] [:x]Just a decent sub

4. Wombar Forum Member

Cheers for the replies guys.

Madbloke, a sub isn't an option as I need the boot space. I play drums and am regularly loading stands and wot not into the boot. These things are really heavy and would make a mess of a sub box in no time, far too easy to pierce the cone on the sub even if I put a grill on.

I might end up just replacing the front speakers and see how they sound, worst comes to worst I'll put the 6x9s back in from my old car, they're really good ones but I just couldn't be bothered to install them.

5. Madbloke Forum Member

Wombar ------ There are a couple of options

A --- Custom fibreglass box to build into spare tyre recess or wheel arch recess --- you wont losea ny space and a heavy duty stage speaker grill would protect it.

B --- Free air sub in rear shelf, not great but if you need space this is an option and shelf can be taken out in seconds

C --- Build an enclosure behind the mids in the doorbuild -- enclosure dosent need to be massive but will give a little more bass for the money

6. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

You'll be needing one of these then -

[​IMG]

7. Wombar Forum Member

Cheers for the replies people, much appreciated :)

I've got to be honest here and say that I want to be as lazy as possible here. If I'm going to have to run stuff to the back then I'll put the 6x9s back in as they produce enough quality for me, and as I already have them it's not going to cost me.

I suspect that a decent sub, amp and enclosure is going to cost well over 200 and I don't really want to spend that.

I do however like the idea of that picture Mr Brown posted and when I do eventually have the money and inclination I may get round to it. Still a little worried about strength of a grill, I know the stage ones are good but I'm sure that even they'll cave if someone else is packing my car and doesn't see it.

Anyway, thanks for the help, will let you know how I get on.

8. Craigster Forum Member

Mr.Brown - I like the look of one of those!

What's the litres / cu ft capacity please mate and is it built for a 10" or a 12"?

Where did you get it from and what was the damage ?

PS - I tried to PM but your mail box is full!

Edited by: Craigster

9. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

see the other thread, he has commented on them there...

tim

10. Liam Forum Member

how can you get a sound stage with pooty 6x9s knocking out music from behind, at a live performance music never comes from behind you, you're better off with a really decent set of component speakers that are bassy than putting in rear speakers, wait for the xxx6 components which will be out soon, these things will be f**king mental!