Mk3 roof

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by BIG AL, Feb 19, 2010.

1. BIG AL

BIG AL Forum Member

I have small blisters on my roof just above my windscreen. I have already had this area stripped and painted before, and don't see the point in getting it done again for it to start blistering again in few years. So I have thought about getting a new roof panel from VW(500 approx).
    I'm after peoples opinions on if they think this is a waste of time and money etc. I love my car to bits and want to keep it as there is nothing I can think of to replace it with.
    Your thoughts please.
    Cherrs:thumbup:

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i had rust in the same place which i had repaired back in 2007. it was repaired flawlessly and no sign of rust since.

that cost 230 plus they had the sills painted too

the painter how is in southend, the opposite side of the country to you. youd have to be plain crackers to trek here for some paint ;)

3. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Unfortunately sounds like the job was not done propperly previously. It may be that the actual metalwork needs a bit of treating to prevent. I had this on my last mk2 and I reckoned that in order to sort propperly (which I never did btw) that the windscreen and seal would all need to come off to check the rust bubble issue wasn't coming from under the seal (if so you can repaint all you like but it will just keep coming back as its spreading from another area where water is being trapped)

I think putting on a new roof is a waste of time and money. Factor in parts, labour, paint and you could have probably had your whole car blown over plus any rust patches sorted.

4. BIG AL

BIG AL Forum Member

I had the screen taken out to have the roof done last time, but as you say prob wasn't done properly. Maybe i'll go have a word with a few other body shops before condeming it.