Mk3 top mounts on mk2 Race car

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Alex12345, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Alex12345 Forum Member

I've converted my Gaz coilovers to run mk3 top mounts today only when fitting them to the car, one fits snug when tightened and ones a little sloppy, I've swapped them side to side to eliminate wear in my shell/turret, I've now removed them from the legs and if I place them into the turret one at a time, one is more snug than the other, I can only assume a manufacturing tolerance problem?? Wondered if anyone else had anything similar?. They're Meyle ones not Chinese. Cheers Wes.

2. Jommanjo Forum Member

Yep, one side of my lemforder MK3 topmounts is looser on one side on my MK2. Koni coilovers.

I haven't checked them when removed from the coilovers though. One to keep an eye on.

3. Alex12345 Forum Member

I'm going to bin them back off to the supplier, I can't live with it. Ordered some power flex black ones, hope the 60quid price tag means they're top notch.

4. vr6smith Forum Member

I have the black series on my mk3, they are nice and stiff so you will be happy you've gone for them, just be minded I had a small issue when fitting mine and it's impossible to check as you can't see inside to know till its done, mine stopped the bearing turning as the top mount was in contact with the shock top, rather than the shock pressing on the bearing it was causing the stock to turn with the steering of the wheels rather than the bearing, I found it was because the black series has a steel insert that stopped the nut that compressed the shock and bearing together had a tapper that did not fit past the steel insert, I simply removed the tapper and all was fine, just a little advise as it was impossible for me to see until turning the wheels as when you assemble the shock withe the top mount all is well, until the weight of the car is on the shock the pressure stopped the bearing turning freely, hope that makes sense.

Jommanjo likes this.