MK3 VR6 Intermittent Starting Issues

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by mk2luke, Feb 14, 2016.

1. mk2luke New Member

Having some problems with my vr over the past few months,

Started by once not starting, just cranking over, never done that in the 3 years i've had it, always started 1st turn of the key.

Then it started no problem,

A few weeks later, started 1st time moved off the drive and parked up, switched off, went inside for a bit came back out then nothing, just cranking and cranking, ( cant hear fuel pump running). Left it for a few hours then started 1st try again!

Once running no problems, full power, no mis fires etc.

Now last week on my way to work i was stuck in traffic and it cut out when idling in a row of cars, bumped it up the curb and left it, went back to collect it a few hours later and started 1st time! Strange!!

So came home time, almost got home, cut out at a set of lights, bugger! Probed the +ve wire at the fuel pump while the mrs turned it over and it coughed into life,

So i thought fuel pump relay, checked it and it seams fine,

Left it running today till it cut out, took out fuel pump relay and put a live straight on the pump ( can hear it) now tried turning it over, NOTHING!

Only fault code is G28 Crank position sensor, but only when it hasnt started, when it runs all codes clear fine.

So any ideas guys?

Either Crank Sensor, Or ECU playing up??

Am i correct in saying that OBD2 has no ecu relay?

Cheers
    Luke

2. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

That squarely points to an intermittent crank sensor fault. Fit a new one and take it from there.

3. mk2luke New Member

Thats my next move... 41% off at gsf this weekend will help there!

4. mk2luke New Member

I take it if i disable the fuel pump and crank away i should still get an rpm reading in the measuring blocks in vcds?
    When cranking and it doesnt want to play nothing is showing in the rpm box, i take it that is not for just when actually engine running?

cheers
    luke

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if theres nothign in the engien rpm box then that tells you the crank sensor is toast :)

6. mk2luke New Member

Had a quick go tonight, Plugged in vcds and started car, rpm reading fine,
    pull fuse for fuel pump, and crank away, 200rpm showing, Pull crank sensor plug ( simulating dead sensor) 0rpm showing.

Hope this is the problem then, crank sensor starting to fail.

Any other possibilitys if this dont work?

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

could be bad wiring to the crank sensor, so make sure all that is good. but yeah the rpm box on vagcom is fed direct from the sensor so if at any time this shows 0 you 100% arent gettign a crank sensor signal, for whatever reason

8. mk2luke New Member

Crank sensor changed last week. Have done a few trips out in it, so far so good. No cut outs or non starts yet!

Fingers crossed!

Cheers guys
    Luke