Mk3 VR6 into Mk2

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by copper, Oct 23, 2005.

1. copper Forum Member

Alrite guys,

ive been pondering... Got 3k to spend on a Mk2, of which i hope to get a preety good one for that! Do i do this, or shall i buy a cheap one and drop a VR into it?!! :)

Obviously many engine conversions are done and covered in here but my question is this... if i buy a Mk3 VR will i have everything i need to convert a Mk2 into a VR?

I appreciate there are many parts to buy for such engine conversions, but i thought why not just buy the car and make it a whole lot easier! - or am i just being dumb in the suggestion! :lol:

Look forward to hearing your thoughts..

[:D] Cops

2. craggsy Forum Member

If you have 3k to spend buy a mk3 VR as it will be alot more reliable than a conversion in a mk2. Plus insurance should be cheaper as you'd have a modded mk2 compared to a standard VR

3. thebluebus Forum Junkie

if you buy a mk3 vr, you won't have everything you need. Most but not all. Better off with a corrado if you can get one

4. thebluebus Forum Junkie

5. copper Forum Member

was thinking about the corrado or mk3, but tbh ive got a horn on for mk2's [:$]

Had them since 1997 and dont think i would have anything else! have always loved the thought of a Mk2 VR!

just thought buying a mk3 donor would be a lot easier in terms of original clocks, fsh ecu,loom,brakes etc

6. alby Forum Junkie

7. copper Forum Member

Thanks for the links guys, Blue, been following your conversion for obvious reasons - looks good btw ;)

alby - for some reason that VR just isnt doing it for me!

Starting to think aobut Mk3 VR's now as some of these Mk2's are going for silly money already! doh! check this for example, 2 days into the auction! [:s]

ebayers

8. copper Forum Member

think ive found a cheap Mk3 VR with proper histroy and stuff. What other major components would i need, minus the suspension of course.

cheers again

mark

9. thebluebus Forum Junkie

corrado crossmember
    corrado rad (i'm still going to try and use the mk3 one though if i can)

would you be using the 'plus' setup?
    is it going into a gti?

10. copper Forum Member

hi blue,

well i'll basically have a road worthy mk3 so will probably go for the plus setup yeah. may as well use everything i can and then ebayers the rest of the car! You prob know there are some bodged up jobs about and i think this way i'll know its been done right.

Ive got a trained technician that will be doing it for me at my local Scooby garage as i used to work there so labour wouldnt be too much, plus theres a vw garage a stones throw away for parts etc ;)

it will be going into a donor gti, but not sure whether to get an 8 or 16v? [:s] suppose ti doesnt really matter.

cops

11. thebluebus Forum Junkie

as far as i know it doesnt matter if its a 8v or 16v. You can steal the PAS, subframe and loom from the mk3. The fueling from the mk2 will be fine as it is.

Should be a straightforward job. Mines only taking so long as i've been ar$$ing about with paint and cages etc.

12. copper Forum Member

if i go for the plus setup then i wouldnt need a corrado subframe im assuming.

i would still need the corrado accelerator cable,rad and fans..and whats this about a pedal box etc..i would be putting in the mk3 VR box..

just trying to get my head around what i'll need for my mechanic [:D]

Bought the recieving vehicle now just waiting for confirmation on the donor :)

13. thebluebus Forum Junkie

You can use the mk3 subframe
    Not sure on the accelerator cable as i still reckon i can use the mk2 one i have. Cant see why not.
    Corrado rad and fans are probably the best bet.
    You'll need a passat pedal box or one with the hole for a hydraulic clutch, which you can steal from the mk3
    :)

14. copper Forum Member

Oh excellent, so i can just use the mk3 pedal box then and that should sort that bit out...

im assuming the vr box will be fine along with the pedal box from the donor..

Are you ever offline blue ;) :lol:

15. thebluebus Forum Junkie

no the mk3 won't fit. The passat one is almost a perfect fit and has the hydraulic clutch bit. You can use the mk3 gearbox.

offline? whats that? :lol: just bored at work

16. copper Forum Member

assuming you meant the hydraulic clutch can be nicked from the mk3 ;)

i'll look for the corrado rad and fans at the same time as the pedal box..what year passat will i need? would i still need the corrado crossmember?

17. thebluebus Forum Junkie

no idea what year sorry. You'll still need the front crossmember from the corrado. You can use the mk2 one and modify the mount but i don't really know anything about that. Didnt go that route with mine

18. copper Forum Member

ok cheers blue...anyone know what year of passat i would need to look for for the pedal box...? Also what year corrado for the rad and cross member?

cops
    Edited by: copper

19. copper Forum Member

anyone... [:s] btt