MK3 VR6 suspension on a budget

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Rayhoop, Feb 16, 2010.

1. aminder

aminder CGTI Committee - Webmaster Staff Member Admin

Green H&R springs have a slightly lower spring rate than the red ones and will sit the car lower.

So you can base your specs around MK3 golf Race springs for an idea
    Golf/Jetta III (VR6)
    93-98
    54748-88

so Expect maybe 1.6" 1.5" drop and slightly less harsh drive

2. Sukh

Sukh Membership Team Admin

Welcome back!
    I'd recommend first off replace all your bushes with powerflex/poly ones, inc rear beam.
    Get some Koni shocks to match the H&R springs along with uprated ARB's that will sort out your suspension setup.
    You can run standard dampers but they won't be as quick as the proper uprated ones.
    Otherwise go the full coilover route. As G said stick to known brands.

3. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

Hey Sukh!
    Its good to be back!
    Yup - bushes are a given. Powerflex polys all around - probably yellow ones to keep a bit of flex in them.
    Gurds was saying something about a rear ARB. Will see whats happening with that too. No chance you'll see me bothering with standard shocks - that would be a waste of time with lowered springs. If we're gona do a job, might as well be properly!

4. gtidriver Forum Member

Interesting discussion. I was just looking on that well known motorsport performance website and checking out spring and suspension kits for the mk3. In my case I have a 2.0 8v GTI and was wanting what rayhop wants...
    "I dont want to 'deck' the car, but need something for fast road and occasional (very occasional) track use. Main use of the car is for 'enjoying' the A to B... if the car does find its way to a track day/the Ring - it will just be for a laugh and not to set any serious lap times. So would pref a set up that is not back breaking"
    So looked at FK products and decided they must be too cheap!

At the moment im running standard suspension but I fear the rear shocks are worn to the point I would like to think about changing so for the cost of doing that I may as well look in to aftermarket setups and lower the car to suit my 17" wheels. I look forward to more advice.
    Cheers

5. aminder

aminder CGTI Committee - Webmaster Staff Member Admin

Lose the 17's!! [:$] esp if they are heavy

I think Rayhop also has 17's which he will be letting go and getting onto 15's.

6. gtidriver Forum Member

They are light weight team dynamics and I cant loose em as I just fitted em!

[​IMG]

7. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

Aminder - word gets round fast lol!! Yup - Im defo ditching the 17's for some 15's

Just going to get the most out of the tyres on these wheels first then flog the wheels cheap. Im sure mine are not light... they are copies of the Audi 5 spoke (like on the 2007 A4?), so are bound to weigh a bit.

That will give me time to sort the suspension/bushes too, before I then get a set of 15's wrapped and balanced, and then get everything tracked up.