Mk3 Wobble

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by hyte1, Jan 30, 2004.

1. hyte1 New Member

I wonder if anyone could help me, I recently purchase a Golf Mk3 Cabrio and am completely happy with it except for a wobble! Basicaly the car has been back to the garage 4 or 5 times now for this and still hasnt been sorted. First it turned out the wheel was not tighted up properly :o however since then the garage have said it been looked at and cant see anything wrong. Its as if the wheels arnt balanced, except they are cos it was done last week! It only occurs when you hit about 45mph and gets gradually worse until about 65mph, after which is isnt really noticable unless your on a really smooth road! Anyone got any ideas what could be wrong?

Cheers.

2. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Has the car got after market alloys wheels? Do you have the spigot rings for them?

3. hyte1 New Member

Can has VW BBS alloys on, as far as I know they are the standard ones which can with the car (Can anyone confirm this?). I have tried swapping the front wheels over and it didnt seem to make any diffrence, although I guess it would be hard to tell which side its coming from. Should the alloys be fitted with spigot rings?

4. MrBen Forum Junkie

Have you tried swapping the front and back wheels? If one of the front wheels is buckled, swapping them left to right will make little difference, but putting the buckled one on the back should pretty much eliminate the problem.

5. hyte1 New Member

No I havnt tried that yet, will try that next I think! Will let ya know how I get on cheers for the help anyway!

6. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

If they are VW wheels, then they should be right. It was just a thought.

Basically VW wheels are hub centric. This means that the weight goes through the hub as well as the bolts.

With after market wheels the centre is usually hollow and you then get plastic spigot rings to fill the gap in the wheel so that they mate up to the hub properly.

If you miss the ring out, it can cause the symptoms you describe.

You could check the wheels anyway, but it sounds like it must be something else causing the prob.
    Check all the mounting bolts for the suspension are tight.

7. mk3anniversary Forum Member

It could be:

Wishbone bush's
    Top mount
    Warped Disk
    Damaged tyre
    Tracking

These are the things i'd check first.

8. hyte1 New Member

just to let you know, Ive had the car's tracking checked this morning, its miles out - over 10mm. Found out why - bottom arm is bent on drivers side! So back to the garage next week to get it sorted! Cheers for the feedback anyway guys! Will let you know if this sorts it once and for all.