mk4 1.6 engine ripped off?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Jamie_pyrite, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Jamie_pyrite Forum Member

well my girlfriend's parents drive a 1.6 mk4 golf estate. It's just conked out! They had it taken away by our local VW dealership (pulmans) who have decided it needs a new full head because one cylinder is "out" and another one is "on its way out" and "you can't just replace parts of the head, you need a whole new head."

That's costing them 1400.

They've been told they need a new exhaust centre section to get through the MOT - 140

and new ARB bushes - 180

Is the garage being lazy and rather than replacing parts of the head (not that I know any parts! Haven't a clue!) they're just replacing the whole head instead?

Sorry for the vagueness. Her parents didn't explain it very well and I've no idea about engines!

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you either replace the head or rebuild it, rebuilding can end up just as expensive as a replacement when you factor in labour costs etc.
    by the sounds of it its had a snapped timing belt and damaged some valves?

3. Jamie_pyrite Forum Member

Right, I see.. So it's not as simple as them just replacing a couple of bits inside the head..

The belt snapping was never mentioned.. I do know it makes a nice mess when they do though!!

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

purely guesswork on my part, depends what actually happened!

5. ev nutter Forum Member

Dont see how theve quoted for the other things if it was dragged in for having broken down!!?

6. ev nutter Forum Member

Hang on on its way out as in there worn or there broken 8/10 if a belt snaps new engine cos its bent the valves and bent rods sometimes even firing it piston out the side of the engine

On the other hand if its just there worn you can rebuild the head or buy a new one that is the chose of the customer but to say its on its way out doesnt give you wide scope for understanding the fault

If its reuseable it would be new valves, cutting of the seats measuring and fitting of shims if fitted. Shim of the head if needed and all the gaskets reqired to refit

Another way if it had gone would be as above but fittng new rockers if this safety device was used on your engine were the rockers have a weak point were they go b4 the valves get trashed

The other option if there had been failure would be a small block fittng with replacement head

7. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Because its there job too. If you don't report something wrong with a car and then a customer finds out at a later date they moan at you for not picking it up, if you do tell them they moan because they think your just trying to make money. Can't win.:lol:

8. ev nutter Forum Member

True but if you turned round to them and said btw while you were away we found this this and this and thats 90 b4 we tell you why it broke down

9. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

But on the other side of that is, they fix the head, 10mins down the road and the middle box falls off. Unhappy customer again, like I said you can't win.:lol: Cars break, thats motoring.

10. ev nutter Forum Member

TBH you wouldnt really be under the car even for fitting the aust but yes you are right the word of the day is ''Shhiitt Happens''

11. Mike_H Forum Addict

A mate of mine's got a Mk4 1.6 he's breaking. They could have the head off of that.

Sounds like it's too late though.