MK4 2.0 to 1.8T swap

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by vrev, Sep 29, 2014.

1. vrev New Member

Hello people,
    After hesitating with 2.0 (high fuel consumption and not enough power)
    I had enough and will try to do a conversion from 2.0 to 1.8T
    I know that I need Engine,loom,ECU,clocks,key.
    Basically I will have another MK4 1.8T so I wanted to know will there be any problems with wiring.
    2.0 is an AQY and 1.8T is AUM.
    I know that 1.8T has Electronic pedal and 2.0 has cable driven.
    Will I have any problems converting it?
    Thanks!

2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

If I was you I would think about buying a Mk4 GTI 1.8T, rather than converting a 2.0 L.

The money you spend converting yours, you could more than likely buy a complete 1.8T Mk4, and save on the hassle of converting.

Worth thinking about ;)

murph81 likes this.
  3. vrev New Member

Yep I was thinking about it ,but I can't find any good GTI and the donor car will be very cheap!

4. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

How cheap is very cheap ?

Be careful with cheap donor cars. You've got to make sure the engine has been looked after and is worth the hassle of fitting into yours ? I've been their before with a high mileage engine, which blew on me with in a few months. ( lesson learnt ).

I've seen some nice examples going for around 1000 lately, some of which are the later models with k03s ect.

But it's up to you :thumbup:

At least with a donor vehicle, everything you need will be there, so its just a case of swapping everything over, but as I've said above, make sure everything is running before you swap anything over.

5. vrev New Member

The donor car is running great, it has low mileage,but I'm more concerned about Electronic pedal which mine 2.0 doesn't have and will the engine loom to interior loom will be PnP!

6. Joe16v Forum Member

There is no point converting a car to a different engine if the car you end up with as the same as something that is mass produced and doesn't cost much. You'll spend more than you think and most likely more than buying a decent car To start with.

Sell it and buy a mk4 1.8t or better still an S3 or leon cupra r. Because they're what you could buy with the same money.

7. vrev New Member

Thanks for advice,but I want to swap it because I'm going to drive it for a long time.
    I'm also swaping it cause the gti that I got is RHD and my 2.0 is LHD!
    I know that I could buy better car but I just don't want to buy another one.

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

In general when doing a swap in a MK4 Golf you have 3 things to worry about:

1. the 10/14 pin plug where the small ecu loom joins the main bay run. if both cars have the same number of pins thats half the battle, other thign to worry about is does the car have the coilpack/ecu power wire in there and does the new ecu require it to be there. We'll come back to this in a bit!
    2. throttle pedal. if you have a mismatch between cable and dbw, you have a fair bit of effort to convert it over. it is doable though especially if you have a donor car.
    3. plugs to the inside of the car, you have early and late pinout. also you have dbw setup, and dbc setup. early/late not a massive worry as its only 2 pins that need swapping, fitting a dbw loom to non-dbw car also means adding wires for the 4 pin brake switch, and possibly clutch switch too. but its not toooooo bad really again if you have a donor.

with point 1, it depends. if you are trying to fit a dbw engine to non, no problem as the ecu power is taken from the ecu relay, which has its own power plug to power ecu and coils. the other way is more of a pain as the ecu wants the power pin in the 10/14 pin plug, and it wont be there on the dbw (pretty sure anyway) so you'll need to add one. you could strip out the ecu relay box from your old loom and add it, just mod the relay wirign slightly so its ignition triggered rather than ecu triggered. then its a case of splice the 2 pin plug from the old loom to the power pin on the 10/14 pin.

anyway, since you are going cable to dbw, you have to add the dbw pedal and the 4 pin brake switch plus associated wiring. it looks like you'll have to add the clutch switch too? if you take both switches and the looms out of the donor you'll be sorted, just note you'll need to tap into an ignition live for the clutch and 2nd brake switch most likely, look for black/blue wires.

check the colour of your loom plugs on your 2.0 as well, if one of them is green its early if white its late. Also look at the 10/14 pin plug on the small ecu loom, if 14pin great, 20v loom will plug in. if not chop off and splcie 14 pin from donor matching wire colours and positions, noting 2 pins are swapped. For the above differences see my oem mk4->1/2/3 thread:
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?267196

Phil b and Richard Mk2 like this.
  9. vrev New Member

Ok thanks for the info.
    When I will begin the process I will add pictures and if I get any questions I will post them here.
    Thanks again rubjonny!

Phil b likes this.