MK4 Front Speakers Removal - Pictures & Guide!

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Richard Mk2, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Lately my drivers side front speaker has started to crackle like its blown.

I want to replace them with some pioneer or sony replacements, but, as you know, it doesn't look as straight forward as it is on the MK2.

Just wondering if anyone has changed there ones in the past, and how hard is it to remove the door card and speakers?

I dont really want to break anything like the electric window switches/elec door mirrors ect, or mess anything else up!!

Any help would be great

Cheers :thumbup:

2. nealey Forum Junkie

mk4 speakers are rivetted on so you need to drill them out, doorcard is easy enough to get off as well but cant remember off the top of my head how to remove them but would remember if i looked at one

3. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Not much to get the door card off really, a couple of screws in the bottom of the door card, the interior grab handle needs the inner part pulling off to reveal a couple of fixings in there, the whole door card then lifts up (might need a bit of persuasion) I don't think you need to pull any of the switch gear out as they stay in and just unplug once the card's off, then like Neal said the speaker is riveted on so will need drilling out, I've gone from memory so there's probably a fixing I'm forgetting somewhere, I'm sure someone will know if I have. Oh and if it was me I'd go for pioneer every time :thumbup:

4. Richard Mk2

Cheers Nearley... :thumbup:

Just found this which maybe helpful to others!!! :thumbup:

1.Undo the three Torx T20 screws along the bottom edge of the door card.

[​IMG]

2.Undo the #2 Pozi head screw at the top front corner of the door card.

[​IMG]

3.Remove the hand grip, I use a soft non damaging trim removal tool pushed into the top of it, you can also use a flat bladed screwdriver pushed into the bottom of it where any damage wont show. If youve got strong hands you can even just grip it tightly and pull it off.

[​IMG]

4.The switch panel is clipped in place, I use my trim tool to start it moving at the back edge, or you can use a flat bladed screwdriver with cardboard wrapped around it to prevent damage to the trim

[​IMG]

5.Unplug the switch module by squeezing the release tab inwards.

[​IMG]

6.Undo the three screws a shown with a #2 Pozi driver.

[​IMG]

7.The door card can now be unclipped, the front corner of the pocket should give you the best grip to get it started. Dont be scared to pull hard as the clips that hold in place are VERY tough. The mirror adjuster, puddle light and alarm LED will have to be unplugged, and the Bowden cable to the inner handle handle is easy to unclip.

[​IMG]

5. Richard Mk2

Cheers Dan.

Yeah definately going for Pioneer. Got a get in the Mk2 and they sound great :thumbup:

6. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

How did the mk4 perform on the way home with the remap?

7. Richard Mk2

Awesome [:D]

Its a totally different car now. The torque really pulls well, plus you can hear the turbo even more now. :thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010