Mk4 golf Boot Jammed

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by hawkins2212, Apr 17, 2010.

1. hawkins2212 New Member

Can anyone help please,

My boot wont open on my mk4 1.8t! By the looks of it its only ever been opened automatically with the key fob as i have no chance of putting the key in manually!

When i try using the fob to unlock it along with all the other doors i can here the boot trying to open but nothing happens so now i cant get in it.

It did start happening a few months back where randomly it wouldn't open so id leave it then the next time i wanted to use it it would open... now it just wont open and have been like this for a few weeks now.

Any suggestions please???

2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Is your heated rear screen working?

The reason i ask is ive read on uk-Mivs.net that the tailgate can stop operating if your rear screen washer pipe is leaking water into the electrics inside the tailgate.

Also, why cant you access the boot key lock. has it been smoothed over or is it in bad condition?

3. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

your will have to get the trim off the inside of the boot if you cant get the key in the lock

i got mine open with key by working it back and four

water from the washers will be leaking on to the lock
    the hose was split on mine

the trim is held on by two skrews and some clips
    i dont know if you can get it off in piece from in side the boot but it is worth a try

4. Collie Forum Junkie

had same issue, had to climb in boot remove screws in the grab handles pull the trim awayy as much as i could without damaging it then operated the rod manually.

i then oiled it worked repeatedly and its been fine eversince.

5. hawkins2212 New Member

I will check if the rr washer works, although i did have a pretty bad leak in the boot a few mnths back so could have been down to that! looks like ill have to open it from the inside.

Cheers guys!

6. M-gogz New Member

Hi peeps . Iv got this same problem . Is it possible to get some advice on who to remove the trim from the inside (possibly with out braking it to much) , also is it pretty much guaranteed that I would have to replace all of the rear locking mechanism? do you know how much this will cost?

7. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

8. M-gogz New Member