mk4 golf gti remapping

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by mini idiot, Apr 14, 2010.

1. mini idiot Forum Member

hi guys,

a afriend of mine had bought a 150bhp turbo mk4 gti and wants it remapping. can anyone on here recommend anyone in the midlands/warwickshire area??

id prefure your honest opions as i think experience with companys is always a better/truer account of your dealings rather than reviews posted on their own webisites!

thanks in advance

2. Supercharged Forum Member

Stealth is one of the only places i'd trust - rolling road so can map it properly rather than just using a generic supplied one.

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

rtech in leicester.

pretty damn cheap. one of the guys on here (i know him well from the essex section) had his done. a much better plot than you get from the likes of the spikey revo ones, it delivers the power very nicely.

4. G-Man Forum Junkie

I've actually heard from one car tuner told me they prefer to map customer cars on the road rather than their dyno, as a car behaves different on the tarmac and a pure 'dyno' map might not replcaite the same results on the road.

But at the same time many other tuners do use the dyno, so like car maps themselves there's always a difference in opinion on which one is better. :)

However R-tech are often praised and always seem to give reliable and constant figures on dyno days.

5. mini idiot Forum Member

okie dokes cheers guys

6. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

yes thats true of old fashioned dyno's, the modern ( past 10 years equipment) are going to be more resistive load conditions on the engine
    which simulate the road so much better

7. G-Man Forum Junkie

Makes sense then regarding the dyno's as I know the modern one's are jam packed with various features and dyno settings.

I've always had Custom Code in the past and never had any problems with it. But I mainly went for it as a dealer was right by my house unlike others so was more convience and happen to only cost 312

8. DAZTDGTI Forum Member

CC Tuning at Burton on Trent did mine golf and they also have a rolling road as well .So they can check it on there rolling road as they do it speak to Chris .

9. andybod New Member

i'll second rtec in hinkley they did mine last april a mate drove it bought one and had his done by them service was superb and 10-12,000 miles later no complaints have a look on golfgtiforum they sponsor the remapping section there,they have posted loads of help and advise and not a single complaint regarding there work i think they are now in the region of doing around 3000 maps so know what they are doing hope this helps andy p.s do you know what engine code the golf is, agu's usually map to around 190-195 bhp aum and auq's(i think) to around 210bhp

10. mini idiot Forum Member

my mate took his golf to dna in alcester. the guy who runs it wrote the map/program thats used at rtech. it was mapped and gave 196bhp. but on the drive home he didnt notice much difference at all.

the guy at dna says its possible that the map hasnt work properly so hes gonna have it back on monday to take a good look at it. problem is, we havent got anything to gauge the increase on.

150bhpish to 196 is a good gain so surely you would notice this when its driven?? or is he hoping for too much?

11. G-Man Forum Junkie

Didn't notice much difference? Something must be wrong as instantly you can feel the difference no doubt! Its not the power, but the torque increase by around 60lb/ft

12. andybod New Member

there must be something wrong as when mine came back from r tec the difference was instantly noticeable throttle response is awesome completely different car to drive ,i thought r tec wrote/tweaked there own maps but could be wrong, i paid 250(was a monthly offer) to have mine done that included throttle body removed and cleaned ,fault codes checked before map and again after and a alloy recirc valve

13. DAZTDGTI Forum Member

well after my remap and with the rolling road date i was getting 199 bhp but with the diesel you dont work with the bhp the the newton meters you need to sort

14. mini idiot Forum Member

the golf is a 1.8t not a diesel, not sure if i mentioned that sorry

15. G-Man Forum Junkie

Nah you mentioned it above; i just meant the power wasn't the biggest thing I noticed, it was coming onto boost around 3krpm that made me know the difference. Which is down to the torque increase of around 60-70lb/ft with most map's

Turned the engine from a lazy lump to something a bit more pokey. I've been in a stock 1.8T and remap'd back to back with another owner and we both agreed its not the top end power but the shove from 3krpm to about 5krpm that the major increase.

16. Si16vAnni Forum Member

Did your friend gets theres Remaped? I going to get mine done at R tech as some friends rate them and dyno plot look good as power delivery is even and does not have a sharp spike like some others do. Cost is 200 for before year 2000 and 250 for after 2000

17. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Ive heard nothing but good things about CUSTOM-CODE Re-maps. Getting mine done on Saturday and cant wait.

Alot of guys have done there Mk4 over on uk-mkiv's.net and all feedback is positive :thumbup:

18. Si16vAnni Forum Member

You getting it done at Inters?? They doing 40 % discount there. Usually they do 30 %discount.

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

if i get my ass in gear tonight ill gtech mine for you to show you what profile youll get with a custom code one