mk4 golf gti turbo,good or bad?

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by 16valve, Mar 6, 2004.

1. 16valve Forum Member

hi all,
    my last day of mk1 cab ownership(e-bay's amazing :) ) and i'm now after a mk4 turbo,can anyone advise on buying what to look for etc..

not knowing a great deal about them,can u get a 20v t and gti t,or was that a car trader talking :p

hopefully going to c one today its a 5dr in black w/o a/con but it has the e/roof,44k couple of owners completely std 7500ish is this resonable?
    thanks guys & gals

2. VDubChap Forum Member

Yes it seems a good price to pay for a low mileage model, a 20VT and a GTI T are the same thing although the cars are badged GTI with the I being in red to distinguish this is a turbo model. The AGU non dbw is a much stronger and more tuneable engine than the other two turbo engines, any more questions let me know.

3. 16valve Forum Member

thanx vdub for reply, whats AGU model?

dont want to buy the wrong model,as i've read in the golf mag they were made all over the place and to buy a only a certain one...

bloody golfs don't u love 'em :)

4. VDubChap Forum Member

AGU is the engine code the others are ARZ and AUM the later two seeem to have more problems with regards to ignition coil pack and air mass meter failiures whereas the AGU engine doesnt seem to have these regular faults, that doesnt mean to say it never will, but least likely in the short term to develop such faults.

5. Paul Forum Member

When you go to look at the car pay particular attention to the clutch! listen out for knocks and pay attention to how it feels, a problem here could mean a new duel mass flywheel!

MK4 1.8T`s are great cars and its on my list for my next one! [8D]

6. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

When I bought mine I really liked it, nicely finished no rattles, the Recaros are excellent, but the hnadling is very soft and the car rolls about the road a fair bit! As I got used to the car I actually thought that maybe it wasn't as good as I first thought, but that was just me going from my totally sorted G40 to a standard Mk4 Golf! I have had mine fo just over 4 months now, and the tuning is to starting to begin. I have the AGU engine and it recorded 162 brake totally stock on Star Pwerformnaces rollers! If you go to see one check out the bushes on the rear axel and the front drop links, my car has covered 40K miles in nearly 4 years(2000 W plate) and my bushes were shot!

Here's a pretty poor quality photo of mine!
    [​IMG]

Alan

7. Mikedav Forum Member