mk4 gti 1.8t turbo flutter/diverter valve question

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by ko3.2003, Apr 15, 2014.

1. ko3.2003 New Member

Hey guys!
    So far nobody has had any insight on this, But i just bought a 2003 golf 1.8t about 2 months ago, I put a turbo back stainless steel exhaust with no cat and no muffler. Im running a short ram intake with a pod filter and as soon as i put on the pod filter, the car started making a blow off valve type sound. A "whoosing" sound when letting off the throttle. Sounds good and everything, but today i disconnected the top hose on the diverter valve, (the smallest hose) and now it FLUTTERS. very loudy when letting off the throttle. I really like the way this sounds.. i reconnected the hose, just to be on the safe side. But i was wondering, running without that top hose plugged in, what are the negative effects? What does that top hose do? What would happen if i took out the hole diverter valve, and put a t shaped hose plug and connected all of them? Basicly, i really want that sound and in the safest way possible.

If you say turbo flutter is bad, please give a legit reason WHY ITS BAD.

And no smart @$$ answers please.

Thanks guys.

2. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

The flutter is the turbo stalling and is bad due to the size of the turbo shaft and will snap the shaft, fit a forge re-circ type valve

A few years ago i had a 3dr cosworth running 36psi and no dump valve lovely sound and also didn`t break the turbo but they run a bigger shaft on a T34 turbo

3. ko3.2003 New Member

Will the forge valve give off a good sound? I really like the flutter but i guess it isnt the smartest way to go.. lol