MK4 Jetta 1.8T oil consumption and blue smoke

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by MajeStik, Oct 30, 2016.

1. MajeStik New Member

Hi all,

I bought a 2002 mk4 jetta Highline 5 months ago, brought from Holand, 1.8T AUM k03S turbo, stock with no engine modifications. Because the seller had no ideea about the car service condition, I changed pretty much everything, meaning timing belt with watter pump, spark plugs, engine oil (MOTUL 5W40 8100 XCess), gearbox oil, power steering oil, air filter, gas filter, fuel pump (I might not remember all of them right now).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My first modification was the exhaust because I belive the catalyst converter was bad, so I got a custom straight pipe exhaust, with 70mm downpipe and 63mm with custom muffler. My question is this: In this configuration with stock K03S turbo is the exhaust ok ? Should I use also 63mm downpipe to be the same diameter all the way back ?

My primary issue that is driving me crazy is oil consumption and blue smoke after idling, not continuously, and on decelerating.

I found the PCV breather hose and PCV valve being damaged very bad. I was having boost pressure dropping (Vag Com Issue: Pressure drop between turbo and throttle valve) making a big turbo lag. Somebody told me that this might be the cause of the oil consumption and blue smoke. Replaced the hoses and the valve but still got blue smoke and oil consumption (maybe not that bad as before). I saw fresh some oil arround the turbo on the cold side, see below:

[​IMG]

The engine consumed about 2.5 liters of oil in 6000 km which I belive is pretty much. When idling is not giving any blue smoke, but when I start moving it gives a puff of smoke and after that nothing.

Anyone have any ideea about this? What might be the problem ? I hope not the piston rings because I don't want to open the engine...

2. Lucky951 New Member

Did you find out what the problem was? Have the same thing going on cheers