Mk4 R32 BFH Thermostat replacement

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by G60Dub, Dec 19, 2014.

1. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

What a drama. Coming home for Xmas tonight and the damn car is overcooling. Had to stop and then drive home parka'd n wooly hatted up with the heater off to keep the thing at an almost reasonable temperature. No internet at the digs I rent this week so I would have rather come on here with better news than this. lol

Now I have no tools at all (no water pump pliers either) with me :( but wonder if its possible to drop the lower cover off the thermo housing with garden variety Allen keys (can always find a set of these I guess) in order to replace the thermostat.

The irony is that I have a full new thermo housing, stat, lower cover, o rings basically the works, and tools stored, at the place I rent during the week but wont be back there till the new year. Total buzzkill!

Hence the possibility of doing it on the minimal cheap with minimal tools by just dropping off the lower cover only - one o-ring, stat, coolant and a set of Allen Keys being so attractive.

2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

worth a try i would think
    it's close to the top of the gearbox isn't it

will look at mine after work tomorrow and see what i think

it's sod's law
    i had a few problems with mine this week all fixed now but had too wait a day to get a new rear shocker bolt
    lost the tool for the locking wheel bolt when i went to change wheels
    managed to get them off in about ten minutes flat lol

3. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Yup definetly sods law B-)

Cheers for that bud- very appreciated. Out sharp n early for Allen keys and a stat :-)

4. MUSHY 16V

Hope your not up as early as me :-(

5. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Nope definitely not. I have a beer head so no driving for me today. Cant get a stat till Wednesday but was thinking that this Halfords set would be man enough for the job:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/ga...advanced-professional-36-piece-socket-set-1-4

Seriously peeved that I have all this sitting up the road in a box (look in the middle of the picture :lol:):

[​IMG]

6. MUSHY 16V

Aye that a good set
    Going to be like a new car you'll have take me for a spin when you get the cams in

7. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Aye definitely - Can get your MAF back to you as well [:$]

Pretty peeved off with the scouring my wallet has suffered lately. Then it will need mapped. :( I've not yet asked but was thinking I could maybe just 'possibly' fly someone special up to ABZ in the new Year (if he's happy to do it) and hire Wallaces rollers if needed. Could maybe also get a few of the lads together afterwards and make a day of it?

I just hope the stat is stuck open rather than jammed by a piece of water pump impeller as then I'll be forced to replace the water pump! [8(]

Any idea who owns the V6 Bora (with R32 front and Votex rear) I met on the dueller the other week?

8. MUSHY 16V

DMC Performance have moved to inverurie and have a Dyno Dynamics rolling road close to home and tool of choice?
    aye i'd be up for a meal if there was time

aye i know the bora your on about but don't know how it is

9. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Ohhh. that's good to know - is it a 4WD road?

I'll get the cams out the road first and then see if I can book the man that can. :)

10. MUSHY 16V

Aye it's 4x4

11. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

:thumbup:

12. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

All done after 90mins:

[​IMG]

Had to remove the strut brace, engine cover then airbox to access the hoses and housing. 50 mins to get it all off and back together then the remainder of the time was refilling with coolant and getting the fans to run. Had to take the whole housing off as one and then split the thermo cover as there is not enough space between the lower cover and gearbox.

Easy job that anyone should be capable of doing and hence save themselves a wack of labour.

Also replaced the skanky expansion tank with a new one from the dealer. :-)