Mk4 Seats in a Mk3 (Golf)

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Chris, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Chris Forum Member

I have heard this can be done by welding mk4 seats to mk3 frames. I was also told that this is impossible and that mk4 runners have to be welded in. Does anyone know if it is at all possible. Also, how hard is it to get the rears to fit?

Is there any chance anyone has pics of this done as well.

Thanks
    Edited by: Chris

2. VeedubyaGTi

VeedubyaGTi Forum Member

Yes it is very do-able indeed, PM Phil as he has done it, and very sweet it looks too! ;)

3. AndrewF Forum Addict

phils are mkIV front seats, but retrimmed mkIII rear seats.

the front seats go in with minor mods (the side rollers need trimming, and a bracket needs to be made for the front runner - or you can weld the mkIV floor runners into your car)

rears are more complex....they sort of fit but not! they'll physically fit, but aren't the right shape and won't look factory fitted. you could get the mkIV fabric and cusion put onto mkIII base, or just get the mkIII rear bench retrimmed to match.

the front seats are a fair bit bigger than the mkIII ones...you have to have the hieight adjuster fully down, they'll hit the roof if you 'jack' it up. they also weigh sh*t loads more!
    Edited by: acf8181

4. Chris Forum Member

I've seen some leather rears that look stunning and you'd never know. Ive been searching Vortex this afternoon. I've only got a 1.4, more weight isnt exactly a good thing, lol. Think this has persuaded me not too now, the mk4 seats look so nice though. Id be worried how low they'd sit as well, I am 6ft6, so too high would be problematic, lol.

I cant seem to find any nice mk3 interiors going around at the mo that would suit me. I know there are some really nice cream ones about, but very rare.

5. AndrewF Forum Addict

well, you won't actually sit that much higher, maybe half an inch at most. its the backrests that are the tall bit.

i actually got hold of a set of mkIV seats before deciding i couldn't be bothered.

i've now got a set of mkIII cloth recaros....much more suportive, and straight in. got mine for just over 100 as well, but 300 is the usual price. mine are the nastiest colour scheme though....

[​IMG]

i really wanted a set like this, but couldn't find any...

[​IMG]

...better to wait for a set of recaros than go for the o.e. gti/vr6 sports seats (they are really unsupportive in the shoulder area, very poor design IMO.

6. Paradroid Forum Developer Paid Member

oooh now why do I recognise those in the second picture [:D]

7. AndrewF Forum Addict

cause i stole it ;) :lol:

i really shouldn't post both those pics near each other...makes my seats look really cr*p. to be fair they are a lot better in real life.
    Edited by: acf8181

8. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I think they look great Andy!!!

I've got a mk4 trim for my mk2 but haven't even looked at fitting it yet.

9. mark Forum Member

im sure mj interiors sell mk4 seats ready to fit into a mk3

anyone confirm?

10. AndrewF Forum Addict

they sell the brackets for the front seats, i'm sure of that.

11. Nev93

Nev93 Forum Member

angle grinder + Mk4 floorpan + Welder = :thumbup:

Mk4 seats shouldn't be that hard to fit. rear are tricky, but only because you have to use some of the m3 bits from the rears, and you need to make little cuts and welds.

I should have done it by now but its just too damn cold [:$]