mk4 soft for comfort

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by GTIVR665, Nov 11, 2003.

1. GTIVR665 New Member

Why is Mk4 equiped with soft suspension. This softset up almost got me kill in a sharpturn. due to it's softness carhas way too much body roll. With it's power v6 with over 170 hp vw should have used morereliable springs and shocks. I've fixed this problem with lowering the carby replacing astiffer spring and fatter tires on them. This help some but not by much. Does anyone have similar prob. andmade some changes to better?

2. Rallye Forum Junkie

Euro cars dont have marshmallow for springs

3. Mikedav Forum Member

Suspension set up is much stiffer on Euro cars, you should blame VWoNA

4. MrBen Forum Junkie

US cars get soft rolly suspension in order to accommodate the soft rolly americans...!!

5. AndrewF Forum Addict

thats interesting about the euro cars.

my mates just got an audi s3, it's an import but still rhd. it appears to be lower than most and i've heard they have different springs on those as well, but its still too rolly (sp?) IMO. nothing a set of arb's won't sort out.

6. pictonroad Forum Member

We have Euro cars don't we?

Not US spec, or am I missing summit?

7. mark_vr6 Forum Member

S3's are much better set up as standard than the golfs (r32 excepted) but still does not provide anywhere near the feedback of a mk2/1 (IMO).

8. GTIVR665 New Member

WoW,,, this is new to me. I didn't know euro car has better equiped than export cars. WHY? Car is sold higher price in America, this sucks, so what do I do to make it better? what kind of shocks & spring are fit it into euro model?

9. tylerrules84 Forum Member

The reason its done that way, is because the vast majority of North American consumers want a comfortable ride, over performance... (read: we're lard butts) Add into that the poor condition of the roads in many northern states.
    No, its not fair, but from their point of view it makes sense. Thank god for aftermarket suspensions bits.

10. enc. Forum Member

Koni dampers, Eibach springs and Neuspeed ARB should sort it ;)

11. Mikedav Forum Member

Car is sold for much lower price in the States actually...same for most cars in fact. You pay 27,000 for a BMW M3, we pay 40,000.

Suspension wise the most common US option seems to be Bilstein PSS9s ... but any good quality (H and R, Koni etc) aftermarket uprated suspension kit will make a world of difference. Even euro cars suffer from bad handling, its just from what I understand yours are even worse.
    Edited by: Mikedav

12. GTIVR665 New Member

how do you like your v6 4motion? I dont think we've 4motion in north american yet. instead we've 3.0 liter gti vr6 ( I think ) I wish I've 4motion 3.0 6 speed gti. Can you tell me about your experiance with your 4 motion. I used to have passat 4motion but it was a lemon. I had a problem with fuel sensor and vw couldn't fix it so they bought the car back. It was a GOOD for the money I paid, $34000 out the door. in 2000

13. Jeff Forum Junkie

If it makes you feel any better the standard suspension on the mk4s here doesnt feel very good either, to me! I've been in a few and they didnt impress me. So I can only imagine how bad it must be if your suspension settings are even softer over there!

VW has been going for a more "luxury" image for some time now. Oddly enough I think it started with the VR6 engine, which I love. They seem to be going for more of a mercedes build quality and comfort approach rather than a BMW driver appeal approach - more and more that way with each new model. Which is sad IMO, from the company that brought the world the GTI.

14. GTIVR665 New Member

Yes, i was bit disappointed when the car felt like fliping over on hard cornering. To match it's power and it's reputation ( 0-60 in 7sec.) I couldn't bare the fact. It got better with H&R Pro springs and 235 x 45 x 18 tires on them. at least gti had big fender well to clear wider and bigger wheel, it doesn't rub any of the fender. My next thing is coilover shocks and brace, better break roter and caliper

15. AndrewF Forum Addict

we have 'v6 4motion' (with 2.8 24v vr6 and 4wd, 205bhp) and also the top end 'R32' model (3.2 v6, 250bhp and 4wd). dunno if you have r32's over there.

16. Mikedav Forum Member

I love my 4Mo thanx. You guys have the same engine - 2.8 24v 201BHP VR6 - in a front wheel drive Jetta. 4Motion is not available on the MK4 generally in the US, the only MKIV you have with 4Motion will be the NA market R32

17. mark_vr6 Forum Member

Same here. 4mo was sloppy round the edges so this put me off buying one and felt heavier than even the mk3 (cause it is). Good cars though with a top notch engine, just need a bit of fettle IMO. The r32 is supposed to be the a real gem though but not been in one yet.

18. damogti Forum Junkie

****Moved to Correct Section****