Mk5 2.0 FSI Losing Coolant

Discussion in 'FSI (inc. GTI 2.0T)' started by scos, Apr 11, 2008.

1. scos Forum Member

Recently bought a mk5 2L FSI with 80K on the clock and it seems to be losing a little coolant. Not much but still a worry as it's not that old despite the mileage. I've only really had mk2's before and they used to get coolant leaks all the time, usually on the hoses. Are there any known areas to check on the mk5 does anyone know? Gonna have a proper look over it at the weekend but if it's anything like the mk2 then you could never see any water leaking the warning light would just come on even if the leak was very small.
    I have read on some forums that the water pump is a weak spot so I'll have a good look at that.

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

hi scos, great choice of car

water pump normally shows up as overheating, there are a couple hot spots to lookout for
    for start the coolant should be pink, where that leaks will show as white stains- run the engine until hot (after a drive) thermosat electronicly controlled to don't let that confuse you! it opens at 120'c ish- ignore what the temp guage says;)

ones i've done has been radiator (V.common all mk5 's), coolant flange (above gearbox), egr valve area, and of course the dreaded head gasket,or even the head [:|]

if you local dealer, or the one thats been stamping the service book what warrenty related works been done related to coolant loss- it may help

3. scos Forum Member

Top quality - thanks mate. Will check those things. Didn't manage to get under the car this weekend as recovering from a wedding yesterday :lol:

Hope it's not the head or gasket [xx(] I think the coolant is pink yes so should be able to trace the source if I check the areas you mentioned closely.

It was serviced by VW as was an ex-fleet car so I should be able to contact them for details of any work - don't have the book or the spare key which is a bit annoying [xx(] Got it for a good price though so swings and roundabouts.

Will let you know how it goes.....

Great car by the way, the drive is superb, really the best golf I've had since the legendary mk2's. Didn't really rate the mk3 or 4 much but this one feel superb.

4. xrr319y Forum Member

also water pump area

5. scos Forum Member

Right it's been a while but I finally looked at it today and it definitely looks like the radiator leaking. It's gotten much worse too, so much so that I might have to take it off the road tomorrow pending replacement. Anyone know how much a radiator is roughly from the stealers? Had a look on t'internet tonight and seems like dealer is the only option so will have to wait till Monday to find out what the damage is.