Mk5 DSG GTI Economy

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by Rikster, May 14, 2010.

1. Rikster New Member

Hi,

I recently purhcased a MK5 DSG GTI and am a little disspointed with the economy I get out of it. On avergae it return 29MPG - thats around town and even on a run at motorway speeds...can this really be right?

I traded my 225BHP TT roadster in for the GTI and I used to get 37MPG on a run with the roof down on that, so I was expecting at least the same if not more out of the GTI.

I'm drivng it as slow as Miss Daisy and still only getting 29MPG and I used to drive my TT hard and it was still more economical than the GTI.

If this isn't right can anyone point me in the right direction as to what could be wrong with it? - VW have run their 'standard checks' and they have come back showing no faults.

Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. magzm8

magzm8 Forum Member

I rarely see anymore than 30 out of mine. On a good thrash to work ( fast A roads ) I'm often down to 22-23MPG. :o Because I only have an 11 mile commute, my car averages about the same as you 28-29.

3. richwig83 Forum Member

I managed 34.5MPG on a 180 miles drive doing 70-80.... occasionally unleashing the K04! :)

4. magzm8

magzm8 Forum Member

On a good long run ( 80-90mph motorway ) I can see 36-37 no probz, but on my A road commute its down to low 20's every day. I guess I could just let the DSG have its way and pootle at 55 but I like to make progress and "paddle" :p

5. richwig83 Forum Member

37 on a run? [8-}] Im not sure mine would do that!

6. sjh4444 New Member

Hello, picking mine up on Wednesday 22nd, will let you know my fuel consumption as my total daily commute is 8 miles.

7. Ade.Mk1 Forum Member

I had an Edition 30 with DSG and that use to average about 28mpg. You could get it up to about 34 on a steady motorway run and as low as 22 around town. So what you are seeing is about right.
    Are you measuring the consumption by the amount of fuel you are putting in or relying on the MFA ? In my experience the MFA readings are not that accurate.

8. l-o-m-a-x Forum Member

MFA's do lie...fact... and are not as accurate as some basic volume mileage calculations. Fill up and the pumps then write the mileage and litres on the receipt. Then you can accurately work out the true consumption per mile later. I do it this way.

I am interested to see these economy figures, which are not great. I am soon looking to change my 3 litre petrol BMW for a Gti ED30 or a R32 and was hoping for better economy. I get 30mph from the Beemer.

Would a re-mapped GTi ED30 or R32 see better MPG? And examples out there?

9. Madman1886 New Member

Sounds about right mate, i got my Mk 5 DSG in Novemeber there and iam getting about the same figures as yourself. I had an S2000 before hand and i thought the Gti would be better than that but i think the honda just edges it. I work 13 miles from home which consists of some town travel then A road and the best ive managed is about 31-32 mpg, about town about 22mpg........

10. sjh4444 New Member

Commute 8 miles a day, of which 2 miles is on a fast A road, I am seeing 26mpg

11. Ade.Mk1 Forum Member

The beemers are much better on fuel than VWs.

Still as ugly as **** though :-)