Mk5 gti electrical nightmare

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by mk2 nas, May 16, 2021.

1. davidut5 Forum Member

Can-bus troubles are best dealt with an oscilloscope, so find someone ho has it to look at the car.

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I learnt a lot about can-bus here.

erreesse and mk2 nas like this.
  3. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Latest car is still not sorted.into week 5 now.
    Car is now at vw.
    Their initial diagnostics was a breakdown in wiring between the gateway and ecu.
    They quoted £550 to sort out( I've had enough)
    So said get on with it.car was due to be collected today vw tech test drove car and broke down.so it seems there is something else.my concern now is an escalation on the bill.although they said last week they had diagnosed the fault and the cost would be £550.i can see them ramping up the bill or have they gotta honour what they first said.
    Nightmare.

4. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

What a shame :(

5. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Not my car my daughters.shes really p@ssed
    Off.but I have given her my mk2 for the foreseeable.no choice.its not like I need it.

6. GVK

If a VW dealership can't fix it, doesn't give us a lot of hope on diagnosing it over the forum. :(

Are you anywhere near VRS in Northampton? From the various vids I've seen it seems Will the owner is a clever guy.

7. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

As it happens I'm around 10 miles from vrs.
    So could be an option.but where do I stand with vw.
    Surely they cant hand me a £550 bill and a car the same as when I dropped it off.wont be having that.
    They said at the beginning there would be a diagnostics charge of £110 plus the work to fix but likely knock off the diagnostics charge if there fixing the problem.what have they fixed.was watching the vid on can low/high voltages very interesting wondering if they've even gone down that route.should I pop in and show them an educational video on canbus.lol.
    If they cant sort this then I've lost faith in main dealers.

8. GVK

The £110 diagnostics charge will be an initial hour of diagnostics, thats pretty much standard for all main dealers.

What was the £550 bill consisting of?

9. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

For repair/replacement of damaged wiring
    To fix problem.thats all I know.

10. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

If they can't be more specific then that for £110 I'd take it away mate. Personally I never had any faith in the local dealers. From what they did and couldn't do with my Mk2 when it was a pup with a mere 30K on it. It was a long drive to C&R back in the day, but they sorted it on the first try.

11. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Latest vw have said the communication to ecu is now restored after some rewiring.
    They road tested car yesterday and the car now stalls on(full left lock)didnt do that before I said to them.they said but it was a non runner when it came in so couldnt say if the problem was existing.the car runs but they are now recommending taking out the dashboard to diagnose a short somewhere.
    This is at an additional cost to the fix done and they want nearly £600 to take dash out for further wiring investigations.im demented
    With it its a money pit and if I go with its £1200 at least and then they dont know what they'll find so that will be more on top.
    My daughter has fell out of love with it completely,said shell never trust it again.
    VW arnt getting any more money I'm going to get it back now it's running and get rid cut my losses and forget about it.

12. Finite

Ask for a report on what was done terminal to terminal (they should know this much) and take it elsewhere. If they don't have some form of oscilloscope in their regular tool kit take it elsewhere. I've learnt the hard way that you should never send a turbo to a company without jigs for re-assembly.

13. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Come to the conclusion that dealerships are just stealers.end of.
    Yes they have sorted the initial problem
    But they have done a 45 point health check and now have red flagged other issues for immediate attention most are joke and the prices are a bigger joke they found 10 faults.

Fault 1&2 2.0mm of tread on tyres low but not an emergency.
    Fault 3 nearside front brake pads low 6mm
    Fault 4 o/s brake pads 6mm.
    Fault 5 actuator on fuel flap faulty
    Fault 6 cambelt kit and water pump.(was done at 80k now on 112k)but is old by time not mileage and will be done.
    Fault 7 fix loose wire behind dash.
    Fault 8 o/s corroded coil sprng
    Fault 9 n/s cracked coul spring
    Cant recall the 10th fault but something daft.
    The only emergency job to me is both rear coil springs and get the car on the road then the rest will be done when it suits.by the way vw want £480 x2 for two springs lol.
    I can buy a pair for £80 and swap em in an hour.
    They've said to sort all the above is 2k plus vat I said I'll be there at 9 tomorrow to get it out never again.the communication fault is fixed but car occasionally stalls due to the wire behind dash but I'm taking it away although they said it may not be a good idea
    I'll take my chances as its if to an auto electrician 1 mile from vw.
    It's like a final kick in the balls when your already p@ssed of with the car and they tell you a load of sh$t you dont need know.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  14. Finite

I'd love to be in a position to setup a VW dealer in the county that actually properly served the local community. I'd try my best to steal all the business I could from Riverside and Parkway. Given how I've felt in them over the decades it wouldn't be hard.

Are Mk5 capable of coasting in eco mode? I'd use that if I could.

15. GVK

That lot is to be expected on what is (to the dealer) an old car unfortunately.

It's how the techs earn their money upselling pads/tyres/cambelts etc

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  16. davidut5 Forum Member

If you went to them before buying the car you would have paid 1k for the car, that is plus their repair bill, haha. They get their money from warranty repairs.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  17. GVK

LOL - Harsh

18. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Car is now sorted.so the dealers
    Rewired a couple of wires and replaced all pins on the ecu multiplug.£550 ouch.
    Then when I went to collect they advised me not to take it as it may cut out due to another
    Fault behind dash.they offered to look into for another £600 to remove dash.the tech lad
    (Boy)who showed me the problem by putting hand up above beake pedal wiggling wires until one shorted and caused an issue.
    The lad was a bit shall we say portly is the word I'm looking for.and struggled to get into the foot well .i did get get urge to shove my foot on his rump for better access.
    Anyway took the car with the fault.and went
    To Burwell & ward they sorted the wiring short very quick without taking dash out.
    In fact so quick he didnt even want payment
    Just said promise me you'll be our first choice next time not the dealers.a.proper businessman I reckon.

19. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Excellent news my friend, glad it's lived on and not been in vain.
    Nice to find someone helpful and genuine, time for the car to be enjoyed now, hopefully the shine hasn't been worn off with the problems.

20. Finite

What a night and day experience. Glad to hear it's ended well for you and your daughter.

You should of mate with a liberal coating of Swarfega with grit!

I've been further ****balled about by the parts counter in time and missing parts so despite it being further away it's Northampton TPS from now on. Straight off they sent me a screen cap of my parts order which saved me nearly £40 on 4 overpriced 21mm torx.