MK5 GTI FSI unit into MKIV GTI !

Discussion in 'FSI (inc. GTI 2.0T)' started by ianb, Jan 3, 2006.

1. ianb Forum Member

Anyone done this yet?

I've seen units at TSR which are scheduled for future projects.

I assume they would be straight forward transplants bar the wiring etc.

Food for thought in the future other than putting a TT 225 lump into the MKIV.Has anyone done this conversion on this forum?

I checked out some recent prices of TT lumps...around 1200 for a low mileage 225 example...makes it a cheaper option than buying a new car I suppose.

JBS want 2350 for their K04 upgraded turbo+ 400+VAT for a new manifold/zorst...price is creaping up.
    Gives 280-300bhp though...

Ian

Ian

2. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

What do you think you would gain from putting the Mk5 Turbo unit into your Mk4?

How much power do you want? How much do you want to pay?

Is that kit you mention above for putting a K04 onto your 150/180bhp 1.8T engine?

Have JBS released their GT28RS kit yet?

3. ianb Forum Member

Something different re MK5 FSI into a MKIV...260-270hp plus bags of torque...food for thought...goes well in the MK5

KO4 kit is for 150-180 units...IHI IS AROUND 4K fitted at Jabba

K04 conversion uses a K03s using uprated KO4 internals plus other upgrades to MAF/ECU CAT by pass pipe to give 250-300 dependant on spec

MKIV needs a fair amount of HP to pull the thing around

Ian

4. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Presumably the K04 kit includes TT pistons with a slightly lower comp ratio along with injectors? (Which I believe is what will allow a 150/180 to get to about 300bhp..?)

What is the torque on K04 1.8T motors?

I've got an article in front of me of an FSI Turbo from MTM (still in development) and produces 300lb/ft at 3100rpm. How does that compare to a 1.8T?

MTM kits, for example, would include; better flowing exhaust manifold and downpipes, 200 cell free-flow cats, 70mm exhaust system, newer larger KKK turbo.

So it's quite a lot of kit to consider if you want to modify a FSI Turbo for ~300bhp.

5. gillm

gillm ***** User

my mk5 is a much nicer car to drive then my old ibiza , the ibiza engine (20vt) had not charicter to it at all , hit 4k in a 150bhp 20vt and it's poo , hit that in a fsi and it keeps on pulling

6. ianb Forum Member

Much higher compression ratio in the FSI unit in compariason.

A good late chipped DBW 20VT is good if you change the DP CAT and zorst...much better revving

Ian

7. gillm

gillm ***** User

yeh thats what my ibiza needed tbh , mind you my mk5 has a miltek turbo back exhuast and high flow cat so that might be wmy it is a bit rev happier ? just need a re-map now :lol:

8. AndyCEB Forum Junkie

The other option if you have your heart set on the 2.0 20vt is the Audi A3 sport I think it was, they used the same engine and are no doubt more 'common' than the new GTI

9. jamesa Forum Junkie

Ian

Project looming ?

10. ianb Forum Member

Not yet.....ploughing on with the MKIV this year
    More to come...without spending a fortune I hope
    Ian

11. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

I would suspect the headache with this coversion would be the ecu and wiring and EGR unit due to the lean burn stuff this new engine has but. The High fuel pressure could cause some problems as well. Be nice to see in it a mk2 tho :-)

1.8T tuning seems a better solution at least you can keep all your electrics and its well proven with no hidden development costs

12. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

if you had a whole car you could transfer the engine & get it running, providing it fits in, that the least of your worries!!

fuel pressure nothing more than a transfer pump, to the mechanical pump mounted to the cam ;), not something I'd like to mess with as the outlet valve rated as 130BAR [xxx](uprated from 120BAR!)

13. gillm

gillm ***** User

would be nice in a mk2 but your not bodgeing my lump in anything , butter not leave you alone with the mk5 anymore :lol:

14. CashewNUT New Member

How about putting a W12 in the back of a Touareg?