MK5 GTI Golf keeps cutting off

Discussion in 'FSI (inc. GTI 2.0T)' started by gsam117, Apr 1, 2010.

1. gsam117 New Member

Hello,

I have a mk5 gti golf on a 2005 plate

I am having problems with the car cutting off randomly [:x]. This mainly happens when the car is idling in traffic however it has recently started happing when i driving at 30/40mph the car will cut off however the electrics will stay on.

I am just wondering if anyone has any ideas of what i should be checking or even better. if anyone else has had this problem and knows the cure.

Thanks for your help

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I've not come across this one yet, any engine warning lights on? any idling or power issues before it cuts out?

have you been able to scan it, theres a list of vag com users in engines FAQ
    I have heard of a idling issue with a stored fault with throttle body, which was a wire damaged on a bend of the loom

3. gsam117 New Member

It has been scanned twice by two different machines however no warning lights on the car have come on.

There has been a small idling issue just before it cuts out when its stood still. I have copied and pasted this problem on the “mkivs” website and someone has suggested that it might me the small fuel filter or a lambda sensor fault.

I think i might have to start changing something because i cant drive the car now. i think that it is a fuel problem tho

4. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

has there ever been a Lambda fault stored, TBH the ECM is so sensitive to it's parameters it would throw up a light & fault code way before having any driving issues

there is one fuel filter on the engine (near the back wheel OSR) and blockage would cause more of a higher RPM loss of power/misfire, and there is a very small gauze in the fuel system ( I cant recall where!)

what sort of mileage is it on? can you check if theres any outstanding recalls with dealers. one is for the fuel pressure sensor / software update.

theres no point changing random stuff on these hoping for the best, if you do start at fuel filter if mileage is above 60K

5. GT1

GT1 New Member

something aint right

6. IFSAN New Member

I have Golf Mark 5 1.9 TDI 2006 plate having the same issues. can anyone help as none of the local garages seem to have a clue.