mk5 gti vs mk4 r32?

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by daveorange, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Mk2 Jettagod Forum Member

the 4motion sucks ... worse than the VR6 for track handling cos of the weight at the front end...

would have to say get the mk5, cheaper to run than the R32 and handles better cos it aint got a front end that weighs too damn much .. though i would have to admit i aint driven the R32 but if its like the 4motion then i wouldn't bother cos you would forever be getting new tyres from driving over them.
    and yes i've driven the 4motion .. today actualy, it was utter utter poo for cornering compared to the mk4 GTI ... was less than impressed with it and felt empty when i got out and had to tell the guy his car aint what i wanted cos the whole prospect of a bigger engine than a pittifull 1.8 20v sounded much more fun ... guess the golf GTI's just peeked at the 1.8 engine for handling ...

2. gillm

gillm ***** User

not so mate im positive my mk5 out handles my mk1 and prob my old mk2

3. Mk2 Jettagod Forum Member

i would love to drive a mk1 but dont know anyone with one any more, last one bit the scrap heap last january from old age, but i agree, the mk5 handles much better than mk4 or mk3, breaking is better than mk2 by along way

4. DLBMKVGTI Forum Member

Surely you have to get either:
    E36 M3 evolution or the E46 M3 SMG?!?!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. micky1 Forum Member

Theres just something about a BMW........"cough"anchor

6. prof Forum Addict

e46 m3 is a proper thing tho

7. Golfgirl Forum Member

As GVK has already said, I used to own a Mk 4 R32 modified with Schrick Cams, Revo and Milltek exhaust with sports cats. I now own a Mk 5 Edition 30.

Overall the R32 is the better car but the Mk 5 is more nimble and has better tuning potential.

I miss the R32 but TBH the fuel bills aren't really that much less. I wouldn't have gone from the R32 to a normal Mk 5 GTI but the Edition 30 had that extra bit of power that made it less of a step down in power.

The R32 was quicker all round, better handling (especially in the wet) and of course better sounding. The Mk 5 is more comfortable on long journeys, more torquey low down but runs out of puff quicker and is also lighter, making it more nimble.

I test drove a Mk 5 R32 back to back with the Edition 30 because I was originally going to get the R32. However, I wanted to satisfy myself that the Edition 30 wasn't what I wanted. The Mk 5 R32 again had better power delivery at the top end but I was more impressed with the Edition 30 than I thought I would be. Taking everything into consideration I ordered an Edition 30 mainly due to the horrendous tax I'd have to pay with the R32 but also because there was more tuning potential with the Edition 30 and I'd already done the R32 "thing".

Did I make the right choice? Well, giving up the R32 was hard, especially as I'd thrown a lot of money into tuning it. Whenever I see a Mk 5 R32 on the road now I look at it and wish I'd ordered one, but then think of the potential that I have with the Edition 30.

Going back to the original question about Mk 4 R32 v Mk 5 GTI I would go for the R32 everytime because I got more smiles when driving that than I do now. And having experienced the extra power in the Edition 30 over the normal GTI the normal GTI just isn't quick enough.

8. Ess Three Forum Member

Not if the chassis is sorted properly.
    Drive a Mk5 GTI hard, or an Integra Type-R and try to argue it would be 'better' or 'more proper' with additional driven wheels.
    They don't need it.

For the original argument...
    I'd take the Mk5 every day.

The R32 was good...it was the best of all models on the platform (I had a highly modified S3 that was very very capable...but dull as dishwater) but the platform lets it down. You can't polish a turd.

The Mk5 was properly engineered from the outset.

I drove a standard Mk5 GTI on 17" wheels back to back with my well sorted 280BHP/330lb-ft S3...and it was as quick point to point.

Progress...it's great.
    The Mk5 is just beter to drive in my mind.