Mk5 Gti Vs New Scirocco

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by coullstar, Mar 17, 2010.

1. coullstar Forum Member

Ive been contemplating this since the start of the year and Im just wondering if the Scirocco is worth the extra money over a Mk5 Gti. Has anyone driven both that can commet?

I like the practicality of the Mk5 (will be 5dr) and it suits my other hobbies however I cannot get the Scirocco out of my thoughts at the moment. They seem to be keeping their value really well just now as well so the extra money might pay off in the long run. Looking around a decent Mk5's can be had for 12k and cheapest Rocco is still around 19k with Ed30's somewhere in the middle. I have been contemplating other cars such as BM's but I love hot hatches too mutch. Saying that I do like my 4mo as well...

2. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

surely what your asking is totally subjective? With the cars being so similar - the deciding factor will be more down to your own personal circumstances?

- do you have the extra 7k (and want to spend it)
    - how much do you need 5 doors?
    - is looks that important?

3. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

The Scirocco is vastly better looking, that's all I can think of.

4. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Ive not driven a Scirocco, but having lived with a Mk5 GTI every day when i had it, you would not be disappointed with whatever decision you choose. For much less than Scirocco money, you can get a very late Edition 30 in 3 or 5 doors witha very nice spec. I know my money would be there.

5. coullstar Forum Member

I know what your saying but lets say I can get money for both, would have to stretch a little for the Rocco.
    Ideally need a car I can tow with so that does kind of put the Rocco out but thats only once a month its needed. I can hire a van if need be.

Deako thats good feedback. I hadnt really considered the ED30's until looking last night, only problem is I really want a blue one.

Im just wondering if the Rocco is dynamically that much better. Could maybe get a Mk5 now, run it for a couple of years then get a 2nd hand R20 Rocco, mmmm.

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

If you're looking to tow, is space a bit of a decider?

It points to a 5-door Mk5 (or 6 if you wanted something comparably new with the Scirocco)

7. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Trust me, not getting an Ed30 will really play on your mind. It did on mine. My next purchase will be an Ed30. :thumbup: The spec is vastly better.

8. coullstar Forum Member

Scirocco is not type approved for towing so space isnt an issue there. I race bikes and use the car to tow but thats only a weekend once a month so I can hire a van. Would save wear and tear as well but obviously add cost.

I suppose the main question is - is the Scirocco worth the extra money dynamically and that could also apply to the Mk5 over my 4motion Mk4.

9. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Dynamically, without a doubt. The Mk4 chassis is pretty poor. Mk5 is absolutely astounding. I had a fully loaded Mk5 GTI DSG with leathers, sat nav, full interior and ran competitive times at Curborough last year. Well, imo competitive for a standard car.

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I'd say that's a luxury angle. The difference in cost is significant, so if you can justify it, don't blink. If you want a spare bike and change, it's the Mk5.

Autocar are pretty happy with the Scirocco itself, and it's a step on dynamically from the Mk5. It depends how fussy you are I suppose. I'd personally don't care and would take a nicely depreciated Mk5, but for others its all about the 'feel good' of having the newer, optimised kit - which is only your call!

11. coullstar Forum Member

TBH Mk5 is ruling at the moment, Im not one of those that needs the latest and greatest thing and I suppose I still the Corrado as well. Funnily the spare race bike idea did cross my mind as well :lol: but Im not good enough to warrent that.

12. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

I actually think a 3dr mk5 gti is nicer looking than the rocco, I think it looks less bloaty and a bit edgy. Rocco is a bit rounded in standard guise (ie R version looks hard as nails!!)

13. Andy947 Forum Addict

The Scirocco is a miles better car than the MK5.

The interior is a massive improvement over the MK5, and it handles superbly.

I know which i'd not buy / have bought / am buying again :lol:

Get a Rocco, but not white, thats a crap colour for one ;)

14. coullstar Forum Member

Dont worry if I do get one it will be red or the funky green colour. Remember Im coming from a Mk4 so both sound like a step up. Im also not really a huge extra's person so bog standard manual will do me.

15. coullstar Forum Member

Heres a good question - will 16in wheels fit the Gti?

16. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

I'd go for the Scirocco, in Gray or Blue?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  17. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Standard brakes are 312mm so it depends on the wheel really.

18. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

They're 17 as standard, 18 on option, and the PCD is not Mk4 Golf - it's 5 x 108 I think.

19. coullstar Forum Member

Just thinking of the winter tyres I have. Would be a shame to get rid of them.

20. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Mk5 fitment is 5x112.