Mk5 power loss -help pls?!

Discussion in 'FSI (inc. GTI 2.0T)' started by MKVrob, Jan 16, 2010.

1. MKVrob New Member

For the last week my mk5 gti (2l tFSi) has been losing power when it reaches around 3,000rpm under heavy acceleration. The car feels like it's been restrained and there's a big drop off in acceleration. When this happens I can hear what I can only describe as a muffled whistling sound, to me it seems this is coming from the factory-fit waistgate.

The cars had a Revo Stage 1 remap (8 months ago and no problems since it was done) and the power loss and noise is blatant when the ecu is in the remapped mode, switching it back to standard you can still detect the loss of acceleration but the whistling sound is barely audible from the drivers seat.

Accelerating gently the car will run up the rev range ok, it seems to only happen when your foot is down.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or got any ideas what could be causing this? Any thoughts will be welcomed!!

Cheers,
    Rob.

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

The factory wastegate, recirc value is a basic plastic design. when they fail you do get a loss of power higher up the rev range, particularly with a heavier right foot as it trying to produce more air to burn

Ideally needs plugging in, we have a small list of vagcom users in the engines FAQ http://clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59279

this is likely only to point to what it thinks may be wrong, but can help point in right direction, do you get a warning light on?

if the valve is faulty, time for a upgraded aluminium

3. MKVrob New Member

Thanks for the advice mate, the cars since been back to the local VW dealership but they couldn't find the fault. The mechanic told me he could hear the noise but 'wouldn't like to say' where it was coming from. He suggested I carry on as normal and if it gets worse they might be able to diagnose the problem....I don't fancy that though.

I've done a bit of research and it all seems to support your theory that the recirc valve could be the problem, and they're more likely to fail if the car's running higher boost than standard, found a replacement from Forge (aluminium) so I'm going to try that.

So thanks again for the advice hopefully all will be well again soon!

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the wastegate cant really be plastic?!

5. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

no it's metal, but the recirculation valve is plastic, which dumps the boosted pressure from the inlet side back to the area before the turbo

if a dump valve is fitted, it does the same thing but dumps it out of the system causing warning lights on as its lost a load of metered air

simple..... [:s]

6. gillm

gillm ***** User

mine failed so i bought a forge dv . soon to come off when i have my new turbo fitted :)

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

plastic dump valves are normal, but a plastic wastegate would be chocolate fireguard

8. deanwyn New Member

Hi guys im have a similar problem but the other way round I have hardly any power till about 3,000 rpm then I suddenly get power, it all started once I put a forge diverter valve on it, some people are saying it may be the egr valve but it sounds like its sucking in air then releasing it ...