MK5 R32 fueling questions for a conversion

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by daljsd, Jul 31, 2012.

1. daljsd Forum Member

I have an opportunity to buy a Golf with an unfinished MK5 R32 conversion. The only thing left to do is wire it up.

The current owner has fitted the MK5 engine with MK5 fuel rail and MK5 fuel filter (built in pressure regulator - apparently)

I don't really want to start swapping for MK4 R32 parts so my questions are...

can you run a full MK5 R32 setup in a mk2 Golf?
    Will I also need the MK5 fuel pump?
    I thought R32 MK5's were FSI? (thats why people opt to use MK4 bits)
    if the above question is not true, why do people use MK4 parts over MK5?

2. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

I believe you can use the Mk5 wiring but I would imagine you'd need a set of clocks for one reason or another.

As far as actually putting a loom in the car, the man they call rubjonny can made a loom that fits but I'm not sure what on the original wiring you can keep and what you can get rid of.

From what I read about FSI engines the tricky thing is getting the voltage to the injectors. I believe The Phirm have information on this or it could be more common knowledge than I think it is.

3. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Yeah I thought it was something like that, I remembered the Phirm's mk2 article saying 65v or something like that. There no accepted method on Mk5 stuff yet? Still impressive that we do it though!

4. daljsd Forum Member

so this is why people change to MK4 fuel system and loom?

5. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

The mk5 isn't FSI. Only the Tourag and and something else big and daft has the 3.2 FSI.

I changed to a mk4 rail simply for the return feed to the tank.

6. daljsd Forum Member

when changing to MK4 fuel rail do you also have to change the inlet manifold and injectors to MK4?

7. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

No. I changed the injectors but you don't have to. The difference in flow is about 3% and Toyotec says go with the injectors to match the ECU.

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

from what i understand the main issue with mk5 managment is the ecu is much more picky, and gets upset if it cant talk to the other modules in the car? if that can be coded out then the wiring isnt any harder than converting a mk4 wiring loom looking at the diagrams as the ecu wiring is basically the same