mk5 Radiator Replacement

Discussion in 'FSI (inc. GTI 2.0T)' started by scos, May 12, 2008.

1. scos Forum Member

Going to replace the radiator on my mk5 tomorrow. Happy with the procedure described in the Haynes manual apart from where it says to "remove the lock carrier bolts and substitute them with one threaded rod on each side". What size thread?? I haven't got an endless selection?! I was thinking of getting a couple of different sizes from Wickes tomorrow, probably about 6mm and 8mm thread. Anyone know if that's right?

Long shot I know? ;)

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

which engine mk 5, your FSI?

I'd normally say lock carrier doesn't need to come off, but not much room on the FSI[:|]
    I'd say off my head m10's (possibly m8) - think it's referring to after you take off the bumper skin, the main 8 bolts that hold lock carrier to the chassis legs replace 1 off these either side with 80-100mm?? length helps support the carrier/slide it forward after you've taken rest out
    take off the fan couling off, undo the rad & slide it out engine side - in your newly extended space

3. scos Forum Member

Thanks Crsipy. Yeah it's the 2L FSI. I'm sure I'll be able to do it as I've done plenty of complex stuff before, just a bit out of practice these days.

Yeah the Haynes doesn't say to take the lack carrier off, just to slide it forward on the threaded rods. Just wanted to make sure I have the right stuff when I do it after work tonight as I've got to get it done otherwise the family motor will be off the road for another day...

I'll get a couple of different threads today and let you know how I got on tomorrow.

Thanks again.

4. scos Forum Member

Okay done it. Bluddy ell what a nightmare. Ended up taking the whole cross member off and dropping it down to get enough access to the rad and rest of the gubbins. Blimmin fiddly with the fans and the air con rad all attached too. Plus about 50 screws holding the bumper and associated trim on. Must've taken me close on 3 hours all in. Seems to be working fine at the moment though so thank goodness the family can now travel again!

Good luck to anyone else who has to do the same job!

5. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

bit of a pain on those, most of the smaller engined G5's will drop out the bottom without removing the bumper etc -

hint on anyone doing those - take rad & cowling off first, then rad

6. scos Forum Member

My hint is make sure you have allowed plenty of time. and a second pair of hands would've been useful too! What is the obsession with torx head screws all about as well!?