MK7 R Wheel Shears Off

Discussion in 'Mk7' started by Richard Mk2, May 20, 2014.

1. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

http://news.epicinter.net/customers...olf-r-wheel-literally-disintegrates-at-speed/

Very worrying indeed.

Eddie pointed me towards this article today, as I also seem to have a defective alloy wheel on my new Mk7 GTI, which is being replaced under warranty. The new wheel is currently in transit.

After reading this article, it's got me thinking how many more may come forward with similar problems.

I might bring this to the attention of the dealers when I'm there next week, and I want the rest of mine thoroughly checked over.

2. Richard Mk2

Here is mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can just see that part of the outer edge is dead straight, and has left a gap between the tyre and the alloy.

Can't wait to get the new wheel on there.

3. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

That's not defective Rich. It's been flattened by a pot hole. By product of cheap Chinese supplied alloy metals.

4. jamesa Forum Junkie

Scarey :o

5. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Thats not good at all. Could either have been dropped or the whole consignement, where loaded onto a trailer, could have 'jumped' in transit after going over something and they've all gone like it.
    We had an issue with new rolled coil leaving the steel plant a few years ago that every coil was being delivered had marks on it.
    They finaly traced it down to a new speed hump they built was causing the coils to jump ever-so-slightly marks the rolls. And these were >25tonne!
    Laughed at the post above though, it's not only 'chinese' wheels that can be crap.
    I used to run some Porsche RH Alurads on my TT. You'd only have to drive within 5 yards of a 'dip in the road' for them to buckle under the thought of hitting it!
    Where as some other chinese knocks off's I've had have been hard as nails and took a full on direct knock into a pavement at 25mph and laughed it off.
    Some of the best steel is now being produced in China, pity they only pay their workers a bag of rice a month :thumbd:

6. dub303 Forum Member

Had a flat spot just like that on my cheap-most-definitely-Chinese replicas. Ran it for years with no further issues. Not what you want on a brand new original car though. Bimmer wheels on run flats are also prone to cracking on our crumbling English highways. Best vote Lib Dem and hope they get that promised pot hole cash spent!

Hope that Golf R wheel is a one off and just the result of harsh treatment.

7. murph81 Forum Member

There is nothing there to indicate that it didn't happen as a result of a crash?

8. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

Quite worrying if it is a defect.
    Looking at the tyre that came off the broken (understatement) wheel, does the tread look a bit worn considering it is only a 2 week old car?

9. Richard Mk2

VW have been really good tbh.

I can honestly say that I haven't hit any potholes at speed, curbs, speed bumps ect.

I do have a few speed humps near my house, around 6 in total.

The guys at the dealers were baffled as there is no damage to the tyre, the face of the wheel or the diamond cut edge. Seems to have just gone flat out of nowhere ???

Straight away they offered to replace it. :thumbup:

It's being sent off once it's taken off, so we'll find out the cause in due time.

10. Richard Mk2

11. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

The trouble is the roads were better in the days when 65 profile and soft suspension was de rigueur.

12. LordH New Member

It's a real issue the state of roads here. My friend purchased a new 135i and all 4 wheels were buckled within 3 months......BMW didn't want to know :(

13. jamesa Forum Junkie

Fit some Compomotive MO`s ... go ... not show ;) lol

14. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

I think he means volk te37's ....set trends don't follow them ;)

15. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

BMW's are worse for this I welded up a heap of BMW wheels for someone last year
    It's dew to the run flats
    Best thing you can do is get shot of them

It transforms a bmw